Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replace the wet super that I extract and put hem above the inner cover. About 2-3 per hive. The bees as usual clean them very well but when it is time to remove I have as many bees as I do when the supers are filled with honey. I finally used a fume board butit slow me down. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
1,987 Posts
I put on the inner cover an empty deep.
it seems to help.
I wait till a cool morning to remove when the cluster is tighter and has formed. (6am)
I do see the issue you describe in mid day or on a warm day.

If they are clean and full of bees I also use the abandonment way.
2-3 hours before dark take them off set on edge 25 feet from, in plain view of the hive. the bees tend to "abandon" the hive parts when they realize it is no longer connected. Works best in "fly" temps IE 60ish or warmer.

or if I am in a hurry I just shake the frames of bees.

GG

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is very helpful. I will give it a try as I have many more to go.
I put on the inner cover an empty deep.
it seems to help.
I wait till a cool morning to remove when the cluster is tighter and has formed. (6am)
I do see the issue you describe in mid day or on a warm day.

If they are clean and full of bees I also use the abandonment way.
2-3 hours before dark take them off set on edge 25 feet from, in plain view of the hive. the bees tend to "abandon" the hive parts when they realize it is no longer connected. Works best in "fly" temps IE 60ish or warmer.

or if I am in a hurry I just shake the frames of bees.

GG

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I "think" the gap makes it a "non part" of the nest. Contiguous comb they clean and guard.
Especially if you have lots of bees compacted back to a smaller space.

in my long hive there is a 1/2 gap at the bottom of the divider, bees "patrol" the empty end.
When adding wet frames Set close to the divider they tent to fill them set against the opposite wall they tend to empty them.
So the space/gap has an effect somehow.

GG

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the empty deep above or below the inner cover?
I "think" the gap makes it a "non part" of the nest. Contiguous comb they clean and guard.
Especially if you have lots of bees compacted back to a smaller space.

in my long hive there is a 1/2 gap at the bottom of the divider, bees "patrol" the empty end.
When adding wet frames Set close to the divider they tent to fill them set against the opposite wall they tend to empty them.
So the space/gap has an effect somehow.

GG

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
above the inner cover
early wets or a bigger population would build comb in it if i were below.

And at times I do not even use an inner cover, So may even work either way.

GG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts