Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well I was gonna make some sugar syrup for my bees to eat since its been fairly warm (50+) past few days, but I heard it supposed ot get cold again and possible snow. I love in SE ohio. Should I hold off on the syrup until its more warm? Willl the cold weather hurt it or make it harmful to the bees?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've had my feeder on since the end of Feb. I think the heat generated by the bees will keep it from freezing. You shouldn't have much difference in temps than we do here.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I have had lite syrup on since mid Feb and it has been as cold as about 0F. The worst that will happen is it ices up a little, but as soon as it warms up, it will melt.
I don't see the temps you are looking at being a problem. We are in the upper 20's right now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have had syrop since last fall and the temp have reached -50c and the syrop was very thick but you could still scoop it out of the drum.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I've had syrup on all winter, in freezing temps. The sugar decreases the freezing temp, I think. However, it did expand in my feeding jars and forced itself out... there was sugar syrup everywhere.... :(

WayaCoyote

1 - 6 of 6 Posts