Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to stimulate brood production i was told to give a 1:1 ratio of sugar to water. i was wondering is that one pound of suger to one gallon of what or what? what is the measurements?

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
1:1, or One-to-One syrup can be used for supplemental spring feeding and encourage the drawing of comb.

1 part (by weight) sugar
1 part (by weight) water
Simply stir sugar into room temperature water until all the sugar has dissolved to produce the desired quantity. The dissolving process will be sped up with hotter water, just be sure not to boil the sugar solution. One volume of water plus one volume of sugar when prepared equals roughly 1.5 volumes of syrup. Weight of water = 8.34 lbs(#) per gallon 1/2 gal = 4.14# 1qt = 2.09# 1pt = 1.04# & 1 cup = .52# of water.

from WIKI

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so your saying that if i filled a 5 gallon of bucket full of water that i'd need 41.5 lbs of sugar? thats what i'm getting from the last message

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
That is what WIKI says. If I feed my bees, I put as much sugar as I can dissolve in hot, not boiling, water. Boiling produces a by-product toxic to bees. It is not like making a one mole solution in chemistry. They will take it whether it is saturated or weak.

·
Registered
326 Posts
so your saying that if i filled a 5 gallon of bucket full of water that i'd need 41.5 lbs of sugar? thats what i'm getting from the last message
Five gallons of water and 40 pounds of sugar will make about 7 and a half gallons of mix for 1 to 1. For the granulated sugar that I use, I have found that I can pour a four or five pound bag of sugar into a gallon glass jar, fill it with warm water, and stir until dissolved. Makes 1 to 1 approximately. Bees build up on it well.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've always done one to one in volume. So for every cup of water I put in a cup of sugar. That what I've always been taught.

·
Registered
435 Posts
5 lbs sugar to 5 pints water = 1 to 1. A pint is a pound the whole world round. This will make 1gallon.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
It does not produce any toxin I am aware of,
but causes the sugar to caramelize which is not
easily digested. The diarrhea can kill......

·
Registered
238 Posts
I read an article in BC about HMF and HFCS. They say HMF is produced when fructose degrades in the presence of an acid. Not sure that happens when boiling SW. I could see the carmalizing thing being possible. But isn't bee candy heated past 212? Not looking to split hairs. Just looking to do what's right for my gals. I have brought SW to just a boil thinking that helps sterilize the mix helping it keep longer.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have never had to boil feed 1. to get sugar to disolve (even 2:1) or 2. prevent spoilege/mold - but I use 'essential oils' (whatever essential means) & only mix up enough for them to consume in 4-7 days. Hot water out of my tap & 5 minutes of stirring.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
The first one is about MA and sucrose heated to
356F.......... not sure if that translates to boiling
sugar water......

The second one has me scratching my head (not hard
to do). It seems to get HMF the sucrose has to be
refluxed with acidic methanol..... again not sure how
this translates.

The third also seems pointed to fructose......

But I am splitting hairs....... for whatever reason I
wouldn't boil sugar water for bee feed. And I just
don't use HFCS anymore period. For bees or me.:)

Thanks for the links.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I read an article in BC about HMF and HFCS. They say HMF is produced when fructose degrades in the presence of an acid. Not sure that happens when boiling SW. I could see the carmalizing thing being possible. But isn't bee candy heated past 212? Not looking to split hairs. Just looking to do what's right for my gals. I have brought SW to just a boil thinking that helps sterilize the mix helping it keep longer.
My receipt for Candy Boards, calls for bringing to 240 degrees, which is boiling.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts