Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I was asked a question that I wasn't sure how to answer...so I'll pass it on to you. When making a 1:1 or a 2:1 sugar syrup, is that figured on weight or volume? eg. one cup of sugar & one cup of water, or one pound of sugar & one pound of water? There is a considerable difference...... :scratch:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Okay, I was asked a question that I wasn't sure how to answer...so I'll pass it on to you. When making a 1:1 or a 2:1 sugar syrup, is that figured on weight or volume? eg. one cup of sugar & one cup of water, or one pound of sugar & one pound of water? There is a considerable difference...... :scratch:
I go by weight. I am sure more people will chime in.

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
A cup to a cup is what I do. A cup of sugar is slightly less than eight ounces so it's like an extra quarter cup of sugar per gallon or somethjng like that. Cup to cup will be close enough. Pints and pounds just confuses people.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
one cup of sugar & one cup of water, or one pound of sugar & one pound of water? There is a considerable difference...... :scratch:
Not really. The density of granulated white sugar and density of water are practically identical. 1 pint sugar == 15.4 oz, 1 pint water == 17.3 oz.

The aphorism "A pints a pound, the world around" is the phrase often quoted on this forum when this subject reoccurs with zombie like regularity.

Within the limits of error for feeding non-particular, and quite hungry insects, no problem with a volume measure.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I dump a 4 lb bag in a milk jug and fill it with hot tap water until its about 3 quarts full. Let it set overnight and it will mix up pretty good.
When using 10 lb bags I dump approx half into two jugs and fill them full.

It is what it is and it works for me.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Tim - what you will find as the above comments will show is that each person has their own take on how they mix the syrup. Each person will go by what works for them. In fact there are those that mix and use exclusively a mix of 5:3 due to it being easier for them to get it to dissolve right and less spoilage. There is some that believe that using such a mix all the time does not make the bees go into storage mode, others do think it does. Again, everyone has their own methods. As for the mix being "Exact" no reason to worry about it, the bees will use the sugar water to do what they need to do at the moment, wether it is to build comb, or to store for winter. Keeping in mind that we as beekeepers try to make things easier for the bees in the fall and do feed heavier syrups. JMO

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
The only correct answer is, "Yes." Feeding bees sugar syrup is not like mixing ingredients for a cake. It doesn't have to be as exact as that. So, yes, equal portions or 2 parts sugar to 1 part water either by weight or volume. The bees will take it and use it just fine.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The way I have been mixing a 1:1 up is a 4lb bag in a gallon milk jug then filled with water.
Gonna experiment some & try adding a bit of ProHealth along with a dash of Agrilabs Vitamins & Electrolytes Plus and a splash of Apple Cider Vinegar to give it a boost.
Kinda a take on Lauri's sugar syrup recipe.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I put 25 lbs in a 5 gallon bucket and add 25 lbs of water. That is all a 5 gallon bucket can hold if you are going to stir it. I mix with a paint stirrer on a drill. 1:1. Then I store in quart and gallon jugs in the refrigerator. You can cut it after you take it out to use.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
25lb bag of sugar dumped into a bucket. Fill with hot tap water to the 5 gallon line. Add a couple of Tablespoons of Hony-Bee-Healthy as a feeding stimulant and to delay fermentation. Stir with a paint stirrer/drill. Happy bees.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Granulated sugar is 2-1/4 cups per pound; Water is 2 cups per pound. You can choose to do it by weight or by volume.

I dump in about 10 cups of sugar and 12 cups of hot tap water, and about 2-5 tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar. I stir for about 2-3 minutes until about all the sugar has dissolved.

The bees really like it.

For 2:1 I use about 6 cups of water to 10 cups of water (not quite 2/1, because I have trouble getting 2 parts sugar to dissolve into 1 part water). This I have to heat on a stove to get the sugar to dissolve.

phil

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I have found that in small batches ( less than 5 gallons) volume works just fine. Just add equal parts via volume. But there is a difference in the weight of sugar and the weight of water. and as the volume of syrup being made increases this difference multiplies. take the example of 5 gallons of water to 25 lbs of sugar. That would be approx 40 lbs of water to 25 lbs of sugar. you are a long way from 1:1 at that point. This seems strange to me since the weight ratio becomes easy to calculate again. Water weighs about 8.2 lbs per gallon. you know you are using 25 lbs of sugar. So 3 gallons of water (24.6 lbs) to 25 lbs of sugar and you are at the 1:1 ratio by weight very accurately. I also suspect you will get right close to 5 gallons of syrup.

As for 25 lbs of sugar, You would want 3 gallons of water (24.6 lbs)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts