Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you use different types of sugar? Do bees have a preference? Is there any kind of sugar they should not have? I have some top feeders that drown my bees very well, so I quit using them for liquid feed and have switched to bucket feeders. But I was thinking of dragging them out and using them for “emergency stores feeders” with powdered or granule sugar, is this bad idea?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've been using old Coke syrup for winter feed. I wonder if it's bad for the bees (the caffeine, etc.)- sure it's not the best but it doesn't seem to hurt them. The Sprite syrup probably doesn't hurt 'em though. I would never let them put either in a super.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,986 Posts
Coke honey. Hmmmm.

I think in small amounts things like this aren't too bad. I'm not sure in large amounts.

The bees certainly like them.

Mostly either white sugar or high fructose corn syrup are the best. It doesn't have to be "cane" sugar. I've used beet sugar (Great Western etc.).

·
Registered
37 Posts
One question here, has anyone had the revenuers showing up after buying a barrel of sugar or sugar in excess of 100 pounds? I know i inquired about sugar at the local coop, and they require that i sign a couple papers indicating its use before they will sell to me.
So much for freedom of trade.
steve

·
Vendor
53,986 Posts
I've always wondered if I would. But Nebraska isn't a moonshine state. People just buy Wild Turkey if they want cheap wiskey or Everclear if they want it as clear and strong as moonshine or Vodka if they want it already watered down.

I always figured only three people buy sugar in those amounts: Candymakers, moonshiners, and beekeepers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow, wild turkey is cheap whiskey?? You can't get a liter of that for less than 40 bucks around here. Here the cheap whiskey is the canadian mist, canadian stag, and kentucky gentleman whiskey

Everclear and Golden grain is about 30 bucks a 1.75 liter bottle.

·
Vendor
53,986 Posts
I'm not much of a wiskey drinker, but I do have friends who are and around here a large bottle (?quart?) of Wild Turkey is about $2 or so cheaper than anything else. I have no idea what moonshine goes for.

I do know that at one time (perhaps still?) when Mississippi was dry and Tennesee wasn't they said the only difference between Mississippi and Tennesee as far as drinkin' was that you could get a drink on Sunday in Mississippi. Moonshine must be pretty common around there.

B

·
0 Posts
I have a question. Where is a good local place to buy sugar in 55gal drums? I'm in N. Georgia. If you know of some where I can call and find out would be a big help.

Thanks

BB

·
Registered
770 Posts
BB,
I know a commercial beekeeper near Raleigh, NC who sells heavy (2:1) sugar syrup @ $1.50 per gallon. I'm sure he'd be happy to sell you 55 gallons (you supply drum). He buys it (500 gallon tanks) directly from Domino's someplace in South Carolina. I can find out more detail/contact info if you're interested.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey Billy Bob,
I asked the local moonshiner here, and he told me that you can get it at the local farmers co-op. I haven't been able to get by there and see.
But they sell it by the barrel.
I am also talking with the sugar guy who delivers to the local store and seeing if he will deliver large orders cheaper.
steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts