Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only give them a 1/2 gallon at a time.
Do you boil it?
If so do you boil the water then add the sugar?
Or boil them together/
Tks

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I don’t boil the water. I just get it real hot and then mix the sugar. I’ve never had my syrup ferment. Some people add 1 oz. per gallon of Apple Cider Vinegar. Some use bleach. (Not sure the dosage) Some use Honey-B-Healthy (Store bought or Home Made)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Some use bleach.
I use 5 ml per gallon of prepared syrup. I got the idea from Randy Oliver (link to site with info) and it has served me well thus far.
I also boil the water before I start to mix in the sugar. I think both things help cut way down on mold and fermentation; but the bleach does the bulk of the work in this regard. I have omitted the bleach and mold starts in a week or so.
RKR

·
Registered
261 Posts
I mix 25lbs sugar to 5 gallon bucket year round when feeding. Generally only put in 1 gallon per hive unless they are very light and I know they will gulp down more. Most of my hives are very near my residence so I can make extra trips if needed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My i ask why you want it acidic? ty
Organic acids like ascorbic acid (vitamin c), citric acid, malic acid, and lactic acid lower the pH of the foodstuffs they are added to, which slows down the growth of many microbes, more so bacteria than fungi, because most fungi tolerate lower pH environments than do bacteria. Vitamin c is also a potent anti-oxidant, which is why it helps to prevent cut fruit from browning.

Acids are added to all kinds of food products for this reason.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I add EO's to my 1:1 and have never had a problem with fermenting, plus the EO's are good for the bees.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I agree with Alpha6. Check Randy Oliver's site for Thymolated Syrup. I used the .44 millimole concentration, but he has better concentrations(different units).

Roland

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>My i ask why you want it acidic?

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoursimplesteps.htm#naturalfood

Sugar syrup has a much higher pH (6.0) than Honey (3.2 to 4.5) (Sugar is more alkali). Conversely, honey has a much lower pH than sugar syrup (Honey is more acidic). This affects the reproductive capability of virtually every brood disease in bees plus Nosema. They all reproduce better at pH 6.0 than at 4.5. Also the mold and things that grow in the syrup grow better at a neutral pH. This affects not only what grows in the syrup but what lives in the hive and the gut of the bees.

Also boiling the water is helpful in killing what is currently living in the water, then adding the sugar. This also helps get the syrup thick enough to keep things from fermenting.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Learn something every day if you pay attention to what Mr. Bush has to say. That man has more info stashed in his gourd than I could assimulate in what time I have left above ground.
Walt

·
Vendor
54,108 Posts
I buy the 1000mg vitamin C at Sam's Club in the large economy size. I put seven of these in 24 pints of water and boil. Then I add 40 pounds of sugar. It makes somthing between five and six gallons of about 5:3 syrup.

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
Michael Bush, have you measured the resulting pH of your mix? I'm just curious. I add vitamin C in much the same way when I make sugar syrup but add a small handful to each batch. I've thought, more than once, that I ought to measure the pH....and just never have.

·
Vendor
54,108 Posts
I did not mesure the pH. I just added another vitamin C in each batch until I reached the point where there was no black mold and it didn't ferment quickly. I would be curious to know. I would guess it's a lot less acidic than honey.

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
pH meters are pretty stinkin' cheap over on Ebay......I've wondered about this for too long, I'm thinkin'.

·
Registered
105 Posts
feed with bucket or small barrels. put a gate valve at botom on side an
use a soaker hose. put a wee bit of clorox in it an aint had no problems.
aint got ants this early on. if in drought use them front feeder for water.
if you usein top feeders put a drop of food colorin in it.
easyer on old eyes

1 - 20 of 24 Posts