Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may help some of you who are new to bee keeping:
2 to 1 means two parts dry granulated sugar to i part water by volume.
It does not have anything to do with the measuring device. You can use quarts or liters. or soup cans
Hint:
Fill a 5 gallon bucket about half full of water and then add 25 pounds of sugar.
Remember that the thinner the sugar the slower the bees take it.
I prefer a heavy syrup most of the time because it does not spoil as fast as thinner solutions.
You may want to give them pollen substitute patties too.
Ernie

·
Registered
127 Posts
what do you mean spoil...well i know what spoil means but if you store your extra in the fridge are you okay or not? I imagine it may spoil in a feeder without refridgeration. How excatally can you tell or whats the time table?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Honey-B-Healthy helps to inhibit mold. But some of my syrup will ferment, especially if I stir in any of the protein supplements like Mega-Bee.

Randy Oliver gave me the best formula. 1 tsp of household bleach per gallon. It's not that much that you even notice it and within 24 hours, the bleach breaks down but still protects the syrup.

I had a hard time accepting the addition of bleach. All I could think about was the paranoia that we had as young parents that our toddlers would drink bleach.

Grant
Jackson, MO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.