Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new beekeeper. I bought two nucs about a week ago. I originally put in the Mann lake top feeder’s but had to go back to the hive the next day in order to add a super to give the bees more room. I noticed that there were no bees trying to get to the sugar syrup. So I’ve been changed to the rapid feeders. I went back the next day to strap the hives down due to the possibility of bad weather and thought I would just lift the top telescoping cover to take a look and see how the feeders look. In both hives there were a lot of dead bees and when I say a lot I mean about 15. And I noticed in one of the hives it didn’t seem as though the bees were very interested in messing with that rapid feeder. So in that particular hive I switched to the simple mason jar with holes poked in the lid. I guess I’m just wondering if I wasted my money buying those different types of feeders because to be honest I also have the ones that look like a frame from Mann lake. I’m thinking I should’ve just stuck with what was simple being the mason jar method. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I ran the ML hive top feeders for a couple years, you have to bait them up, sprinkle syrup thru the screen so it drips thru the slot in the plastic tray.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I put a ladder of 1/8 wire mesh down the inside (where the bees go up) of my frame feeder to the top and it seems to be working. I did not try it without this ladder, so I don't know if it made a difference, but I figured something easy to climb may make it easier for the bees to get in and out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts