Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,
I went through the many setups described here in many threads for the Sugar Syrup Mixing and Feeding using various types of pump set up. I am planning to build one since my last set up died very quickly. I am planning to have up to 300 hives by end of this season, so that is what I am looking for in terms of size and mostly in my region the max I need to feed is a 2: 1 ratio syrup and nothing more than that ratio. The main intent and question behind this post is what kind of pump I should go for.

The choices I have nailed down after reading the many posts in this forum are the following

1) Rotary Gear Pump with Honda Engine
2) Semi Trash pump.

While feeding the hives, in many of my yards I cannot see the bottom of the tanks to know how full it is. So any of the above pump set up has issues with Dry Run. How you guys work around the dry run issue?

Does these pumps can run dry at least for 5 to 10 min before I can reach the truck and stop the pump? I assume my last setup died on my because the pump run dry or low on liquid.

Can the Rotary Gear pumps can run dry for some time -- Say 5 to 10 min?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,479 Posts
Both trash pumps, and some if not all rotary gear pumps will have issues running dry for 5 to 10 minutes.

How do i work around this? I walk over to the pump and turn it off. I don't see how it can take 5 to 10 minutes to do that. How come?

Couple other things. For just 300 hives, a Honda or similar petrol driven trash pump is all you need and will work out pretty cheap. But if you want a rotary gear pump then you have to also spend money on a pressure release system and feedback loop. If going to all that expense, you may also be able to install some kind of engine shutoff when the syrup is low in the tank.

But me, I think you should look at your procedures and design something in so it doesn't take 5 to 10 minutes after you see the syrup stop flowing, to shut down the pump.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Two possible solutions: a) fit a float switch to your choice of pump - or use a pump which already has one - like this Hippo:

or b) - install a kill switch inside a small box, and run it back to whatever's driving the pump via a long lead (cord).
LJ

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Just an idea: Put in something like a sump pump float switch that removes the "spark", kill switch for magneto or a switch suitable for your engine's ignition circuit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks every one. I will take these suggestions especially looking at my procedure for sure. The main reason for 5 min is I cannot reach my truck near the hives and I have to walk around some wooded area to reach the truck. That leads me to another question regarding the length and type of the hose. I will post that as a separate question because that way I will easy for others who are seraching to find the answers.

Thanks every one for the great suggestions and wisdom.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,479 Posts
OK i understand.

Looks like only solution is employ some type of auto shutoff, they do exist, you would just cut the ignition wire of your pump and wire the shutoff into that.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
If it takes 5 minutes to walk back to the truck, that is an awfully long hose. Get a better bee yard.

Jean-Marc

·
Registered
318 Posts
Its not real complicated. A Honda GX200 is almost bullet proof. No need for relief protection and can run dry for 10 min no problem. We mix alot of 2-1 using this pump, and feed it using a gas pump fill nozzle to fill feeders. I cant imagine anything is cheaper or more effective/robust.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,531 Posts
Do you know which pump is attached to the GX200 Honda motor?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts