Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed on the floor board of my top bar hive that there is a fair bit of sugar syrup. I also feel the syrup on dead bees that have been pushed out and notice that the bees coming out on cleansing flights are walking funny as they clearly have walked through the syrup on their way out.

This same dripping is happening on some bars that I have in the house from a deadout.

Is this "normal" for uncured syrup to drip from the frame or is there something about top bar frames that make it more likely? I'm not going to do anything about it right now, but am curious.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose that is possible but we have very few nights when the temps are below freezing and our daytime temps consistently run high 40s to low 50s. Have not opened the hive to look at frames as temps have been a bit too low. As I mentioned, it is also happening to the frames that are inside my house.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,509 Posts
I am guessing the honey is fermenting and bubbling out of the cells. Could be a few different reasons why it is fermenting, but SHB is the problem I face most often.

Reactions: Fivej

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did have a very small amount of SHB but I don't understand the relationship between SHB and fermentation? Can someone explain?

Is there anything that I can look for to help determine if this is the cause, and finally, is there anything to worry about at the moment? In other words, do I need to do anything now such as swap out frames of stores when the temperatures allow?

Lastly, this is not the clearest photo but it is of a frame in my house. Near the center of the photo you can see some cells that have some white patches. Any ideas or concerns Bee Frame.jpg ?

Thanks, as always,
Kevin

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,509 Posts
You may want to do a little research on your own, but basically they defecate in the cells causing the honey to go bad. It can get really gross.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts