Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good lord this is getting ridiculous. I cannot find granulated sugar within 100 miles of me!!

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
My wife was after sugar last week for just regular shopping. None in two Grocery chains or Walmart. Online a few days later, Walmart said no 10lbs but had 25s. Went there, no 25s but plenty of 10s back on the shelf. I expect it is a restocking problem, not a warehouse problem. (yet) Takes a brave person to work a grocery. Healthcare worker; Hero.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
I bought 8 25lb bags at SAMS Saturday. They had full pallets of 10 and 25lb bags.
Go figure.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
As Grey Goose suggested the hoarding fever will likely soon subside. Initially you could not find it on the shelves, along with eggs, pasta or soup but it is coming back now. I think the powers that be realize the food chain must be maintained at all costs.

·
Registered
284 Posts
good lord this is getting ridiculous. I cannot find granulated sugar within 100 miles of me!!
Any food distributors or bakery supply companies near you? They could use the business now and are usually stocked in bulk.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My wife was after sugar last week for just regular shopping. None in two Grocery chains or Walmart. Online a few days later, Walmart said no 10lbs but had 25s. Went there, no 25s but plenty of 10s back on the shelf. I expect it is a restocking problem, not a warehouse problem. (yet) Takes a brave person to work a grocery. Healthcare worker; Hero.
im a doc...scary times at the hospitals for sure.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
All I could ever find was 4 lb bags. I bought two/day (limit) at Walmart by my office and wife bought 2/day at Walmart by her office until I had enough to feed 8 hives. A larger scale beekeeper would find that untenable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In a true free market price would rise and fall with supply and demand. TP might be $10.00 a single roll, but the shelves would not be empty. But if that were true it would be harder to hide inflation.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
im a doc...scary times at the hospitals for sure.
If you are on the frontlines thank you for being brave and doing your job.
No sugar here in Delaware County either. As of now 14 positive; hopefully it wont creep up from the City to us here.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
If people can't find enough sugar for their hives, they may have to sacrifice some of their honey to put back in the hives (if they have any).

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
People should be maxing out their pantries pretty soon, and then I think you'll see items getting replenished on the shelves.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I read a story this morning about restaurants giving people a roll of toilet paper with their to go orders. At first I thought, "How nice", then I thought, "Just how much TP do they have?" And "No wonder there is none at the stores". ;)

Alex

1 - 20 of 21 Posts