Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Where is best (cheapest) place to buy sugar for our bees? I haven't checked Sam's, which is a 120 mile trip. Our local Super Wal-Mart has 25# bags of sugar for $14.50 plus tax, etc.

I know, with freight prices thru the roof, I'm probably just going to have to do the best I can locally. Wish there was a wholesaler around here.

All the best,

casper_zip

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
1,159 Posts
You really need to do your homework and shop around.

I have found 4 or 5 pound bags on sale cheaper than bulk. Watch out for the packaging, sometimes you will think it is a good price till you see it is 4 pounds instead of 5 pounds.

The sams around here is more expensive for a 50 pound bag than walmart in 5 pound bags.............go figure.

Leave your name and number at some of the stores in case they have a busted bag or fork truck accident, they might just give the product away or charge pennies on the dollar just to move it instead of chunking it in the dumpster.

There was somebody last year that was selling 1000 or 2000 pound totes, if I remember right they were out of Florida.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I agree with G3, always do the math when you have 5, 10, 25 and 50 lb bags beside of each other. The biggies like Wally World and Sams have everyone now thinking that bigger is cheaper, so many people will buy bulk thinking they are saving when they are paying more. Last year 5lb bags at Wal-Mart were cheaper than 10s and 25's. They almost had me before I got the calculator out.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Some local grocery stores here recently overbought (I'm making that assumption) so they're now selling 5lb bags for $2.49 just for a few days. At least a few in my local club are stocking up, 50c/lb is darn good for small bags that can easily be used by hobbyists (like me).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Last week, I bought 25 lb bag at Sams for 47 cents a lb. 50 lb was 51 cents. 2 weeks ago local grocery had 10 lb for 3.99 with $10 purchase. so lots of adult beverage and brisket bought each day to make the $10.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sams told me that if they busted a bag it had to go in the dumpster. Hey, maybe Sams is subsidized or run by the govt. :D
I once worked at Sam's. If a bag of dog food gets busted it goes in the crusher instead of an animal shelter. The crushed assues them no one can get to it later. Their reasoning behind that is they can write the whole cost off instead of selling it for a buck or two. Sad isn't it. I guess the same pertains to sugar.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I work for a wal-mart distribution and we have a food pantry truck come at least once a week to pick up food. I'm not sure what they are picking up, but I see them drive through the yard and back into the reclaims department all the time.

-Dan

·
Registered
328 Posts
Aldi $1.49 for 4 lbs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts