Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
548 Posts
Some Of you have great sugar prices in your area. It’s higher here in the northeast. I got 50lb bags for $30 from a restaurant friend.
I know that’s expensive compared to what some of you pay, but it’s a decent deal here and I didn’t want to be caught short in the spring if we experience supply chain issues again like last year.
If you buy a lot, get a Costco membership. It is worth it at $25 for 50# but if the $5 more is worth it then go for it. I think Walmart is not too bad but you just can't get the bigger bags around here.
Hopefully we don't have a drought again this year... but if we don't get more snow we will be hurting again from the get go :(
I am near Waltham MA Costco, If anyone wants a 50# from Costco (waltham or nashua but I don't know the price at Nashua) that wants to meet me at that store I can buy them for you, you just pay me cash.
I have a few things I love at Costco so I keep my membership.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
There’s no Costco within 30 miles of here so the $5 isn’t worth the drive. BJs can be that cheap but they haven’t had the 25lb bags here for quite some time. this spring I was making multiple Walmart and target trips and finding one or two bags on the shelf. My time is too valuable for that so the $5 per bag to know I can get it from my friend in one trip on 24 hours notice to order is fine for me.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
We normally buy sugar at the costco that's 30km up the road (20 miles), we pay 19.99 for a 20 kilo bag. After you do all the math for currency conversions and metric to imperial, that works out to 0.34us per pound. When we are buying sugar for the bees, usually get between 10 and 20 bags at a time, inventory is never an issue they usually have 2 or more palettes out. Over all the trips in the last couple years, price has never changed there.

I was in Superstore for some groceries yesterday, they had 4 kilo bags on for 3.48. I'm not fond of fussing with those small bags mixing syrup, but I bought a few to use in case we need small amounts of syrup in the spring. It works out to 0.295us per pound after all the math.

To be honest about it, I'd rather pay the extra nickel at costco and have the 20 kilo bags, it's a lot less work when it's time to mix syrup. When we mix syrup here I do it in a drum, and usually use 60 kilos of sugar per batch.

·
Registered
848 Posts
138229736_10215531376716870_205866810099857644_n.jpg
Some Of you have great sugar prices in your area. It’s higher here in the northeast. I got 50lb bags for $30 from a restaurant friend.
I know that’s expensive compared to what some of you pay, but it’s a decent deal here and I didn’t want to be caught short in the spring if we experience supply chain issues again like last year.
Here's a recent picture from a BJs in Auburn MA posted by a Worcester County club member..
Plenty of stock (25 lb bags)if you want to pay the price!

·
Registered
zone 3 240 colonies
226 Posts
To be honest about it, I'd rather pay the extra nickel at costco and have the 20 kilo bags, it's a lot less work when it's time to mix syrup. When we mix syrup here I do it in a drum, and usually use 60 kilos of sugar per batch.
Totally agree here. I mixed in a 275 gallon IBC tote and had to cut open and add 33 fifty pound bags of sugar. Lots-o-work but I used my tractor to lift the pallet of 33 bags to be level with the top of the tote, this helped a ton because there was very little lifting. Even though it was a plenty of work it's still felt fairly efficient, when I was done I had a lot of 2:1 syrup.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
548 Posts
View attachment 61700

Here's a recent picture from a BJs in Auburn MA posted by a Worcester County club member..
Plenty of stock (25 lb bags)if you want to pay the price!
Bj prices are not that great, you can get better deals from Market Basket or any other chain. Costco is a bit better as the sizes are bigger and more, not to mention the return policy is Fab !

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I do not know if I will ever shop at Costco again. After having bought 12,500 lbs of sugar in a year, they would only sell me one bag at a time this Spring AND Fall. .. I went elsewhere, paid, more, but had a pallet that afternoon.

Crazy Roland

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I do not know if I will ever shop at Costco again. After having bought 12,500 lbs of sugar in a year, they would only sell me one bag at a time this Spring AND Fall. .. I went elsewhere, paid, more, but had a pallet that afternoon.

Crazy Roland
Yeah, this was a problem most of the year because of supply chain issues. I think I went three months without being able to buy more than one bag at Aldi, and that's if they even had any. I bought flour from my restaurant friend who was still able to buy large sacks and was repackging it out in 5lb bags for his regular customers who couldn't get any at any grocery store. This is exactly what I want to avoid this year.

·
Registered
117 Posts
For many of us running a few hives this is academic. Even at the price you paid it is very doable. I remember telling a friend about how much I was feeding. He runs 120 colonies, many nucs for queen sales and nuc sales, and maybe half in out yards for honey. He said what I was doing was ok for a few hives but would run into serious money on a slightly larger scale. I think he just manages around flows a little better.

I realize folks who run thousands of colonies still feed, but I’m sure there’s a lot more math and management than anything I’m doing. The price you mentioned isn’t going to make me cut back any on my little backyard buzzery.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
548 Posts

Crazy Roland
We are in a pandemic. It's silly to not shop somewhere because they didn't have what you wanted due to stocking issues.
I bought a bag the other week and there was no limit on how many. You need to call ahead and order that amount. If you think you are going to walk in and say I'm taking a whole pallet when they only have 1 pallet for the month, you're clearly wrong.

They were out of whole milk when I was there last, I'm not going to say Never will I buy anything there again.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I spoke to the WHOLESALE contact at Costco in spring about picking up pallets in the fall. If that is not enough warning, I do not know what is.

If the pandemic is to blame, how come the other supplier had amply supply and NO restrictions??????

Sorry, don't pee on me and tell me it is raining..

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just found out sugar is up 25% from last year.

The $9 bags of sugar are now $12.
What size bags are you referring to? 25#?

I have been buying 25 pound bags of sugar all day long at Kroger supermarket stores and they have many different store brands but mine locally is called pick ‘n save. The price hasn’t budged over 10.99 but usually on sale for 9.99 per 25 pound bag. I did 1200 pounds of sugar this season, UGH. Next year will be getting it shipped by the pallet…

·
Registered
46 Posts

Bottom line, shop around. My area, the restaurant supply places are higher than Safeway, where I can usually het sugar for 50 cents a pound. Walmart (here) never has big bags, rarely matches the Safeway price.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Costco in Enfield CT on 1/12
25# for $12.79. Up from $11.49 last Oct.
I refuse to shop at Wally World after multiple trips last year,only to find empty shelves and uncooperative store personnel.
Now if I could only find jelly jars and lids!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts