Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,205 Posts
I do love me some picked beets to be sure, but bear in mind that a sugar beet is grown solely for it's sugar content. They re not the same as the beets we serve for dinner or salad.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
1,987 Posts
My bees eat both with no preference shown to either one. The reason they smell different
is because of the different processing methods used for each.For example some cane
is made using bone char as a bleaching agent. So in effect you might smell a difference
, but it doesn't mean there composiion is different. Chemically there is no difference. As for
being GMO, I have yet to see any research showing that being GMO is bad for you or bees.
Seriously.
ok then try google search on "is GMO food Harmful"
I got 2.5 million hits in .62 seconds.
I have neither the time or inclination to read them all, but some countries are already banning this "stuff"

You must not read much.

I guess we could go down the rat hole of "what is research"

As well
"In addition to France and Germany, other European countries that placed bans on the cultivation and sale of GMOs include Austria, Hungary, Greece, and Luxembourg. Poland has also tried to institute a ban, with backlash from the European Commission. "

Not sure countries would BAN something that has Zero research showing it is bad for you.

I'll take the cane sugar , thank you...

GG

·
Registered
116 Posts
Also, guess I should come off my secret source. lol The store where I find consistent large quantities at $2 for a 4lb bag is Save-a-Lot. I know the store is regional, just don't know how regional. There are several in mid-TN. Never tried buying a huge amount, but most of these stores are managed by nice folks. I'll bet with a bit of notice you could get a pallet for the same price.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I do love me some picked beets to be sure, but bear in mind that a sugar beet is grown solely for it's sugar content. They re not the same as the beets we serve for dinner or salad.
Yeah, I've been thinking of growing some sugar beets for a cover crop. Detroit Dark Red is my go to eatin' beet.

Alex

·
Registered
116 Posts
When I was a kid my grandma made creamed potatoes that would make you smack, ... someone else’s grandma. I would bury beets in the potatoes. Her cooking was amazing. And I got to eat purplish potatoes. Mmmmm

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
548 Posts
Costco's 50# sugar is Cargill and is Cane sugar

If you want to debate beet vs cane, please make another thread on it.
Topic here is about the price of sugar

·
Registered
583 Posts
hey knuckleheads, the intent of this thread is not to debate cane vs. beet.
$.49/# is normal price for me. i try to catch sales down to $.35/#. havent seen that since last winter. best has been $1.89 for a 4# bag at walmart or aldi.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I wonder if bees would eat it i
hey knuckleheads, the intent of this thread is not to debate cane vs. beet.
$.49/# is normal price for me. i try to catch sales down to $.35/#. havent seen that since last winter. best has been $1.89 for a 4# bag at walmart or aldi.
Knuckleheads?? It did go off on a tangent, but up till now no onve had resorted to name calling. 🙂

·
Registered
116 Posts
Earlier today I checked with the guy I buy boxes from. He said barrels of sugar (I’m assuming cane but either way) were $100 with the barrel exchange. Charges $10 for the barrel itself first time around. Also has syrup made from sugar at same price. I didn’t ask the sugar:water ratio but I’m assuming thick.

He said he sold 28 barrels of the syrup recently to an individual as well as a several of sugar to different folks. Said he was about out. Expecting another load soon. I was kinda in a spotty cell zone on the interstate so I didn’t get a ton of details. Just told me to call back in a week.

How much dry sugar is in a 55gal drum?

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
548 Posts
Nice bloon beet vs cane, shows you which brands are blends, cane, beet

·
Registered
560 Posts
I haven't bought any for a while, but last summer (in covid shortages) my best price location alternated between Walmart and Target.

Target surprised me, don't rule it out.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,205 Posts
How much dry sugar is in a 55gal drum?
A gallon volume of sugar weighs approximately the same as a gallon of water. You should figure about 450# per drum, maybe a tad more.

·
Registered
116 Posts
55 gallon drum of cane sugar?

That would keep me going for a long time in my apiary.
As far as I know cane, but beet is a possibility. Didn't really ask. Granulated anyway and not produced by corn.
A gallon volume of sugar weighs approximately the same as a gallon of water. You should figure about 450# per drum, maybe a tad more.
Thanks JW! And if I'm doing my math right that's around .22/lb. If he gets the next load in at that price then my sugar shopping is done for the year. I probably fed 450-500lb this year and next will be at least double that. I told him I would take 3-4 when he got them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Figured I would go ahead and update this. Saw 25# bags at Walmart in Mid-TN at $11.78, which is what I believe someone said earlier. They don't keep a lot of 25s so if I was going this route I would advise buying only a few at the time well in advance of needing them. I do remember a time back in spring or summer where the larger bags were not available.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Turns out there are differences;
The article blog author concludes there is no distinguishable differences.

but use whatever makes you sleep better at night. The discussion is pointless anymore.

Sugar is about $0.47/lb here right now at walmart...but there are times I find it at around $0.37/lb.....
found it at another store for $0.43/lb...think I'll swing in and pick up 100 lbs.

Once found it at $0.29/lb and I loaded up.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Some Of you have great sugar prices in your area. It’s higher here in the northeast. I got 50lb bags for $30 from a restaurant friend.
I know that’s expensive compared to what some of you pay, but it’s a decent deal here and I didn’t want to be caught short in the spring if we experience supply chain issues again like last year.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts