Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just found out sugar is up 25% from last year.

The $9 bags of sugar are now $12.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
you would think by now the "Shine" demand is lower.

Supply chain disruptions IMO

GG

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
can you make this work?

road trip, years supply for you and a friend.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
I noticed that the 25# bags of sugar at Walmart have gone up a bit $11.78 with 10# bags selling for $4.78. Used to be a 10# bag was $3.20. They are still the cheapest game in town though.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Our price on a 10# bag at Wal-Mart has been $5.20 since last April.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Prices are going up. I recently got a restaurant friend to buy two 50lb bags for me just in case the price got higher or supply chain had issues again

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
I have seen prices all over the map. Sometimes I'll see a random store with 25 or 50lb bags at $.60-.75lb. But one of our local discount groceries keeps a pallet out of 4lb bags at $2 each. It's been .50 a pound for years. I'm going to try and buy some bulk soon, so I consider .50 the price to beat. I bought like 50lbs many times this year. Opened a lot of bags.

All granulated cane sugar.

·
Registered
zone 3 240 colonies
292 Posts
I am buying cane sugar by the pallet but I'm still paying about .62 cents per pound. Beet sugar is going for .51 cents per pound. This is coming from a local bulk food style store. Is there any better place to buy if you are going to buy a pallet or 2?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
At my Walmart it has always been 11.00+ for 25lbs.
Don't recall if it was cane or beet, but sugar is sugar.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
The Walmart Great Value sugar is cane sugar, but the bees dont't care one way or the other.

Reactions: funwithbees

·
Registered
zone 3 240 colonies
292 Posts
I've read all kinds of post here and other information regarding cane sugar versus beet sugar. Generally people seem to think there is no difference, however when I dump a bag into water in I can smell the dust that rises up, the 2 sugars actually smell different from each other. And of course beets have been genetically modified whereas the sugar cane has not. And the reason for genetic modification is so they can handle the heavy duty poisons needed to put on the field.
If they are winnowed down to just pure carbohydrates I shouldn't be able to detect a difference using my rudimentary human scientific measuring tool, my nose.
What differences might the bees detect?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I've read all kinds of post here and other information regarding cane sugar versus beet sugar. Generally people seem to think there is no difference, however when I dump a bag into water in I can smell the dust that rises up, the 2 sugars actually smell different from each other. And of course beets have been genetically modified whereas the sugar cane has not. And the reason for genetic modification is so they can handle the heavy duty poisons needed to put on the field.
If they are winnowed down to just pure carbohydrates I shouldn't be able to detect a difference using my rudimentary human scientific measuring tool, my nose.
What differences might the bees detect?
My bees eat both with no preference shown to either one. The reason they smell different
is because of the different processing methods used for each.For example some cane
is made using bone char as a bleaching agent. So in effect you might smell a difference
, but it doesn't mean there composiion is different. Chemically there is no difference. As for
being GMO, I have yet to see any research showing that being GMO is bad for you or bees.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
The debate over beet versus cane sugar has been in existence since the 1840s, and there has never been any proof of a difference between the two for feeding honey bees. As fadder says, sucrose is sucrose.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
The debate over beet versus cane sugar has been in existence since the 1840s, and there has never been any proof of a difference between the two for feeding honey bees. As fadder says, sucrose is sucrose.
So far I haven't fed anything but cane sugar, and I was surprised to find a lot of folks on YouTube feeding HFCS after all the bad press (not surprised they are feeding it, just that they are posting it). I have issues with corn syrup because of what it did to my waistline. In reality, if I had eaten and drank the exact amount of substances sweetened with cane sugar, and with cane sugar added rather than corn syrup, I'd be just as fat.

Really haven't thought about beets. I enjoy me some pickled beets.

·
Registered
zone 3 240 colonies
292 Posts
Turns out there are differences;

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
So far I haven't fed anything but cane sugar, and I was surprised to find a lot of folks on YouTube feeding HFCS after all the bad press (not surprised they are feeding it, just that they are posting it). I have issues with corn syrup because of what it did to my waistline. In reality, if I had eaten and drank the exact amount of substances sweetened with cane sugar, and with cane sugar added rather than corn syrup, I'd be just as fat.

Really haven't thought about beets. I enjoy me some pickled beets.
👍 Double Thumbs up on the pickled beets. 👍

Alex

1 - 20 of 73 Posts