Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up 3 partial barrels of floor sweeping sugar this weekend. Rolling one of the barrels out of the truck and syrup started to run out (so not sealed). It did not have a pleasant smell to it (helper described it as vinegar). Opened it up and it looks like molasses. its supposed to be dry.
What can I do to save this probably 300 lb drum of sugar? I know randy Oliver added bleach to extend his sugar water. Should I try to get it out and cook it down?
Another 2 barrels are 1/3 full, hard and dry. Looked like Styrofoam.
Not used to dealing with this quantity of material. It only cost me $10 and time to get it but I hate to waste it.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Perhaps the bigger question is, it that one barrel worth saving? I would definitely not "cook" it. The other two barrels might need a jack hammer to them?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I also purchased 2 barrels of floor sweep sugar. It smelled like burned rubber and had a bunch of very fine sediment that clogged up my jar feeders. I still have a barrel left and it is okay for top feeders or open feeding. Sometimes the search for cheap stuff ends up costing more in the long run.

·
Registered
zone 3 240 colonies
292 Posts
Don't bother feeding it, good clean cane sugar is cheap compared to new colonies.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
I thought bees are not supposed to eat molasses or brown sugar ?
Molasses is fine if fed during the Spring and Summer. Not good as a winter feed. Problem is that now molasses is more expensive than pure cane so there really is no point unless you get it in large quantities for real cheap.

I would dissolve the stuff in hot water, add some bleach, and see what you have. Keep in mind that 300# of sugar is only worth about $100 so I would not spend too much time trying to salvage it.

Reactions: Gypsi

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am trying to break up the sugar to make some sugar blocks for the top of the hives. I usually mix 4 lbs to a 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar and roll it onto a cookie sheet and stick it in the garage and it turns into a brick.
I tried a few tonight to see how it works but some of the chunks are pretty big and do not want to break down. I may end up going 'Mountain Camp' on it but it seems to be less user friendly.
I have to find a decent way to get it out of the barrels. Hammer just seems to send it all over the shop.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
Sounds like a job for an air hammer like this really inexpensive one from Harvor Freight.

I use one (Snap-On) at work for all kinds of hammering jobs, just not nails!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I splurged and went for the $14 one over the $12 air hammer. The previous day I found that a 1 1/2" spade bit cut in and seemed to hit soft sugar at about 2" down. I dug a bunch of holes and the air hammer knocked them out. now I have about 15 lbs of 2" rocks. I did not find the soft sugar rainbow I was hoping for! I am going to see about getting the sugar rocks out and see about using the air chisel in more of a scraping method. good advice JW!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts