Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinion concerning the sugar dusting of packaged bees?

I thought I might have a little "mite drop" on the drive home...

My packages will be queenless.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
It would knock the mites off the bees. That could buy you a little more time to get them started.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I was hoping for a slightly more elaborate respose...
And you might get one from someone that has actual experience to offer.

It seems like a good idea in that it could knock the mite count down before installing the package onto the frames and would get maximum coverage of the contained bees but I wonder how it might interfere with establishing the bees to their new home.

I've only powdered my bees when they were firmly established. They get pretty riled up when I've done it but the "ghost bees" always flew back to the hive. Not sure how they would take to adapting to a new hive while at the same time dealing with their sugar-coated mess.

Wayne

·
Registered
456 Posts
there usely not needed to knock off mites they don't harm till you get larva by then your hive should be established then it might help 4 weeks after installing them.

Don

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi Don,

The thing is that I'm going to be putting them with a couple of frames of brood (and caged queens) that evening. The thought of "dusting" them came to mind.

I thought it might give them something to think about. :D

Don,

My one hive has a "daughter queen" from your bees and I haven't noticed any change in behavior.

Joe

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You might want to check with the supplier of your packages to see what treatments are applied before they are shipped. Many package producers treat for nosema & varroa shortly before packages are made. While dusting with powdered sugar may not hurt, my thought is that there's little to be gained.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts