Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some sugar dust rolls the other day but I was in a bit of a hurry so I stored the sugar and mites in marked jars for later counting. At that stage most of the visible mites were clearly alive and struggling about. After getting changed I had a quick peek and noticed the mites weren't stirring, even when clear of the dust. Three hours later I returned to do the counting and found the mites were dead.

Normally, I sift the sugar for reuse on the spot and throw the mites to the ants so I just assumed the mites survived dusting. Apparently not. Has anyone noticed the same?

·
Registered
156 Posts
From what I have been told. Once they fall from the Bee there lifespan drops like a rock. Someone told me they can only live a few hours of not attached to a Bee.....
I will say the sugar gets the bees riled up and they run hive beetles into my oil traps to drown and die also. along with the V mites.

I am a new Beek. But Id say reusing sugar is a bad idea! I mean a bag of powdered suger is under two bucks....... Throw it away IMHO!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts