Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you use sugar cubes in lieu of making fondant? Sure would be easier. Could be more expensive... but in a pinch...

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I'm sure the bees would eat it. It would probably even prevent starvation. If you are too lazy to make Fondant or Sugar bricks, you could use the "mountain camp" method and just put a piece of paper on top of the frames over the cluster and dump a bag of sugar on it. You could dampen it to keep it solid. You could even mix a little vinegar or Honey B Healthy into the water you dampen it with.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
If you are too lazy to make Fondant or Sugar bricks, you could use the "mountain camp" method and just put a piece of paper on top of the frames over the cluster and dump a bag of sugar on it.
I was not aware that using that method indicated that I am lazy. At least the bees that survived long winters because of it were too polite to criticize me for it. :)

Wayne

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Someone had a post on here where they dampen the bag of sugar and let it harden a bit then cut a hole in one area and place it above the hole in inner cover during winter. Bees eat up into it and it helps absorb some moisture. I never tried it, but it would certainly be cheaper than sugar cubes.

I made sugar bricks last year. Won't be doing that again. If I want sugar on top as emergency "backup", I'll just dump it on. But the goal should be to feed the bees in the fall to a weight appropriate for your winter so that the feed is in the comb where the bees already are. Makes life better for everyone.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
I add a quart of warm water to ten pounds of granulated white sugar in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly into just a wet slush. I use paper soup bowls for forms and hear of people using the Styrofoam meat trays which would make larger bricks. I use loose sugar on the top bars when I put hives to bed in November but add the bricks in the spring as the loose sugar is harder to deal with when one starts pulling an occaisional frame. They work great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts