Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for an easy sugar brick recipe. i tried searching the archives but didnt have much luck. if i remember there was one that was 5 or 10 lbs of sugar and a small amount of water, put it on a cookie sheet and let it dry.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Personally, I like sugar bricks as opposed to sheet versions, allows me more options to move the sugar and keep it over the cluster. I use 1 oz of apple cider vinegar per lb of sugar, mix, lightly pack into bread pans and let it dry. You can also quick dry the bricks by placing the pans in the oven, set it to 250F; when the oven reaches temp just shut it off and leave the door closed until morning. Fair warning it does stink up the house.
Adding a splash of Honey-B-Healthy or some other feeding stimulant is also an option. As is using a dehydrator or honey warmer to speed the drying process

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Search Lauri Miller sugar brick on google. The search engine here is worthless.
Do not tinker with the recipe. That's where people get messed up. Do not heat it. It will get hard as a rock in hours without heat. Do not add more water thinking its too dry. J

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
2cups of water and ten pounds of sugar. Mix until all sugar is damp. Pack into molds such as dixie paper ssoup bowls which hold a pound and a quarter. Let dry. No heat no scalding from boiling sugar. Just too simple for most folks who need to work and suffer to fulfil their hobbyist zeal. Oh add some vinegar to invert the sugar which is not neccessary but aligns with hobbyist zeal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the recipes . i had problems last year with my candy boards. we had crazy temps and a lot of humidity, the candy boards kind of melted and started dripping in the hives. never had that happen before. what a mess. so this year i will try sugar bricks and a shim board.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Like Fivej in post # 3, I have used Lauri Miller's recipe since she first posted it here on BS, but I prefer to feed sugsr cubes by the handfull as required during mid-winter inspections.
Roll to 1/2 inch thick flat with a rolling pin; dice into cubes with a butcher knife; dry overnight on top of the water heater; store in a metal container away ftom the mice & feed by the handfull as necessary, plus pollen patties in the spring.
P1110323.jpg
P1110351 (2).jpg P1110306.jpg
Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Steve reminds me that you should cut in desired sizes before it hardens. I cut it after it has set up for about half an hour. Don't wait too long! J

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've been adding about 100 mg ascorbic acid per 100 lbs sugar when I feed. I don't know what the right amount is. That and a tiny amount of vinegar should help it taste more natural.

I don't like recipes with lots of acid (like Lauri's). The bricks don't harden well. They should be easy to harden with minimal heat. Heat + acid makes toxic HMF. I put the bricks in empty frames.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts