Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
7/10 I made my first ever split. Shortly after had three queen cells. They hatched out. Got to here piping which was cool. Then the waiting and hope that there would become a successfully mated queen. On 8/10 I noticed a lot more pollen going in. Upon inspection there was capped worker brood, a great sign. I have been feeding and they have been drawing out comb like crazy. She had been laying in the comb as fast as they draw it out. Was not expecting first attempt to work.
Next year going to try the miller method. Anyone done this yet? After reading, found that better queens are made on newer comb. More room in cells for queens to grow.

·
Registered
191 Posts
PyroBee- Pickup the book Better Queens by Jay Smith, he basically does a take off on the Miller and Henry Alley
methods which use new comb for queens. I did it this summer and it works well.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Mr. Bush. I am only wanting to do 10-20 a year. Small amount and I would like the bees to make what they feel are the best.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
PyroBee I read your post and shared your joy.

It was a long time ago, but I remember as a boy deciding to raise my first ever queen. I made up a nuc from my hive and put it in a box on top. Went back the next week, and yes, there were queen cells. Push biked out to the site a few weeks later and YES! a beautiful queen laying eggs. Rode back home fast as to tell my Mum but she was not into bees and did not understand the fuss. But for me it was an awesome moment I still remember. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. It is my first year and wanted to try it. Did some reading and watched youtube videos. Took a shoot at it and really was not expecting to be success. Now I cannot wait till spring to try again. Going to use winter to read up and build equipment.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
PyroBee I read your post and shared your joy.

It was a long time ago, but I remember as a boy deciding to raise my first ever queen. I made up a nuc from my hive and put it in a box on top. Went back the next week, and yes, there were queen cells. Push biked out to the site a few weeks later and YES! a beautiful queen laying eggs. Rode back home fast as to tell my Mum but she was not into bees and did not understand the fuss. But for me it was an awesome moment I still remember. :)
Nice story. I can imagine the excitement to successfully manipulate Mother Nautre for the first time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts