Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully transported queen cells? I am currently doing a preemptive Snelgrove split and they just capped queen cells on 3 frames, 2-4 cells per frame. My daughter lives 1.5 hrs away and could use one of those frames. The ride is on paved roads except for the last 2 miles and the road is bumpy. What are my odds for success, or is this a fool's errand? If you have done it successfully, I would love to get any tips you might have to offer. Thanks. J

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
I've done it, a small insulated cooler with a large hot water bottle in it, try it first and see how the temp holds, in my case I was only moving the cells not the frame. a friend of mine had a setup that ran off his 12v car system, brought them 4 hrs no problem, both were going to hatch in 1 day.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
On what day is the current thinking? Memory says just capped ok, almost hatched Ok, bad in the middle. Precapped is better to transport.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I can do it tomorrow. Glad I asked. I was thinking later might be better. J

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
From Betterbee (just googling)
7 A particularly delicate stage of queen pupa development: Around Day 13 after the egg was laid. Queen cells are vertical, not horizontal like those of workers and drones, with the queen positioned head downward. Late in the pupation period, the queen’s wing buds are forming and any jostling may damage her wings and compromise her ability to go out on miles-long mating flights. Handle a frame with queen cells very gently and keep it vertical at all times.
I remember the debate, not the conclusion.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Salty. Good info. Nancy might have written that. Just want everyone to know that I do the Google for a lot of my questions but when I need advice from someone I trust on something important,I ask here. Many thanks. J

·
Registered
205 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have similar question - how long queen can survive/live all alone without attendants or food/water? I had a bizarre incident where somehow (virgin) queen got trapped between inner cover and the lid, with no access to outside and a small screened hole on the inner cover. When I found her she was sitting right on that screen, is it possible bees somehow managed to feed her for a week through the screen (fine mesh). It was exactly 7 days since last inspection when she had the last chance to get there (beats me how).
Hive was supposed to be queenless and I was actually waiting/looking for the virgin queen when I did that inspection a week ago.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
likly fed threw the screen

Memory says just capped ok, almost hatched Ok, bad in the middle. Precapped is better to transport
sounds about right, I did have some precaped (maby 4day) fall out of the cells while moveing just a few miles the older they are the bigger that risk, vs a 48 witch is supended in a bed of jelly.

Fivej if I was in your shoes I would consider putting cages around the cells and then transporting the virgins

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just saw those cages msl and thought the same thing. As it turns out,work prevented the attempt and they are due to hatch tomorrow . So we are on to plan B Saturday. J

1 - 9 of 9 Posts