Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can you use instead of a electric capping knife, hoping to put that expense off till next year?:)

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
They make non-electric knives with an offset handle and they work pretty good. If you need the heat, you can dip it in hot water. I started with an ancient (actually, antique) knife just like that. If it's sharp, it does the trick. When I only have a few frames, I scratch the caps off with a wide fork or a scratcher made to do that. I've heard of people using a serrated bread knife. All should work just fine. When I have a lot of frames, the heated knife goes faster....no question but it's not necessary.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I use a fork and or a decapping fork, no knives here yet. The kids use te capping fork and i generally use the regular fork to break open the cappings. Works for us.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
IMO, a really sharp serrated bread knife with a long blade works better than an electric knife. Also, you don't burn any honey that way. You still need a cappings scratcher.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I use one of those ginsu knives from the eighties. some of you can probably remember the commercials cut this aluminum can and still sharp enough to slice a tomato.

·
Registered
833 Posts
serrated bread knife works great for me, bought one at a yard sale for 50 cents just so the wife would stop complaining that she could'nt find hers Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like to use an electric serrated fillet knife. I use it for fishing and it works great on capped frames. Have a short video but not sure how to attach to this reply. Please pm me if you would like to see.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I saw a You-tube video a while back where some chaps were using a hair dryer, of maybe a hot air paint stripper to melt open the caps. It seemed to work very well in the video. I would probably work better on white (dry) capped honey but they didn't seem to bother with checking. Anyone out there ever try this?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts