Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i grafted for the first time wednesday morning before work (4/10). 27 of 30 cells were accepted when i checked tonight after work. i went ahead and removed 7 additional grafts and a couple rouge emergency cells to reduce to 20 queen cells. i only plan on using up to 15 and maybe a few less so this still gives me a few "extras" to select the best looking ones. looking at different articles and queen rearing calendars the days are sometimes different on when to make up nucs and/or introduce cells. i was originally planning on making up the nucs next saturday and introducing the queen cells sunday morning but according to some of the charts i should have the queen cells in by next saturday. i'm not sure if it would be possible for me to make up nucs friday since i expect it will take some time and i have to work. (work always gets in the way of having fun!) is there any problem in making up the nucs saturday morning and introducing the cells saturday afternoon? i grafted into jzbz cups and i have the jzbz cell protectors to put on them before putting in nucs so the only access the bees would have to the cells would be through the bottom. i'm just paranoid because every queen rearing calendar agrees to make up nucs 1-2 days prior to introducing the cells. thank you for any help.

·
Registered
145 Posts
First of all not everything will be optimal, especially when juggling schedules, but most importantly to get things done in the right direction. You are on track.

If you grafted Wed the cells will be 10 days on Saturday and that is typically when they are "ripe" meaning the can be handled. Those who pull cells and put them in an incubator do that starting at 8 days. Now, they will usually hatch on day 12, or occasionally 11 if the larvae were big. That gives you until Sunday.

They way I see it you have a couple options.

Make you nucs on Friday minimizing time spent by not hunting queens, etc and just put your nucs together pulling brood. The next day when putting in cells you can usually tell where the queen is by how quiet the bees are. You can mark each parent and nucs off her so when you find the one with queen you know which ones are without. With extra cells you could just cell everything or the ones you are unsure of. With more time on Saturday you could pull frames and find the ones with emergency cells started to confirm queenlessness too.

Make your nucs on Saturday and put cells in later in day like you have suggested. With cell protectors there is less risk of them tearing down the cells and you are getting your work done. I will work.

Make you nucs and Saturday and put cells in Sunday. The greatest risk of loosing mature cells is one hatching early and believe me they will tear the rest down. You can insure against this by putting cell protectors on cells in finisher hive on Friday or Saturday. This protects the cells and gets them on for later.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I graft into the nicot system cups.Then use the roller cages to protect cells and early hatching queens in case of some early hatchers.Earlier hatchers sure can destroy things for you.If you get caught up in a bind and cant get your nucs built up when you want to those queens can hatch in the roller cages and the bees will care for them for a few days till you get your nucs made.I am in that bind right now.Need to build nucs today and storms all day.Queens hatching tomorrow but they will be in roller cages.Also if hatching out in roller cages you can look at that queen and see if she is a runt,deformed or whatever and get rid of her if you need to.If one doesnt hatch then you wont waste resources on trying to hatch it out.

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Its nice to have the bees "settled" for a day. We typically give them a day to fly and then install cells the morning of the second day but they we are usually moving them to a remote location. An added benefit to nuking early, if keeping them on the original location, is that you can add some bees or switch with another hive to account for lost field bees. In this scenario Thursday would be a good option in my opinion though only marginally better than Friday. Sure, you can probably get by making your splits on Saturday but you are kind of stuck with the populations that they end up with a day later when they are hatching.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I graft into the nicot system cups.Then use the roller cages to protect cells and early hatching queens in case of some early hatchers.Earlier hatchers sure can destroy things for you.If you get caught up in a bind and cant get your nucs built up when you want to those queens can hatch in the roller cages and the bees will care for them for a few days till you get your nucs made.I am in that bind right now.Need to build nucs today and storms all day.Queens hatching tomorrow but they will be in roller cages.Also if hatching out in roller cages you can look at that queen and see if she is a runt,deformed or whatever and get rid of her if you need to.If one doesnt hatch then you wont waste resources on trying to hatch it out.
I was just wondering about grafting into this system this morning. So, there is no need to purchase the cell grid or the complications that come with it. Correct?

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Cell cups are a little lose.I used a Q tip dipped in hot bees wax and went around inside the cell cup holder and now cell cups all hold better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts