Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first hive (2) and have been strugling with ants. Since last wk I have noticed lots of ants climbing on the hive and a few inside the hive when I inspected last wk. I put down cinnamon which helped a little. Then I put down a tarp and this helped a lot. I put down more cinnamon. Last evening I noticed the bees like the cinnamon and one bee was covered with it and having trouble moving. I also, last evening, put Tangletree on the bottom of the hive - on the 4 sticks of the frame. When I came home from work it was like a masacre. Bees stuck to the tangletree in the cinnamon. I feel so stupid and bad. My plan is to (tonight) hose off the cinnamon and scrap the dead bees off the tangletree....

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
It happens. Down here in red ant country, i just used th bait systems and granules. They keep them at bay.....

·
Registered
374 Posts
try putting your hive on a stand that you can ant-proof.

As in, a stand with legs. Each leg can sit in a coffee can, that has soapy water. Some people use sand and motor oil.

Some people forego cans/containters and put vaseline on the legs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the stand has legs (not sticks-LOL) that is where I pu the tangtree. i will next try the coffee cans- I am a little afraid next I will drown them...But I think it will work better then this did...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I put a mound of diatomaceous earth around each leg on my set up and it works just fine. You can get it at a pool supply store or home center.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have done the same thing with the tanglestuff, then I put cans of water & drowned them. now use vaseline at the very bottom of legs near the ground....so far so good...

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
ants can be a big problem in some parts of the country...but in the northeast, most of the ant problems i've seen occur when feeding sugar syrup. are you feeding?

deknow

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Yep that'll do the job. You can get it at a pool supply shop at a better price by buying a large bag. It works in the chicken coop and the garden as well. Kills soft bodied insects including ants.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
deknow Yes im feeding! They are 2 new package bees on the first deep hive body! and a swarm installed in an observation top bar hive! A few weeks ago i had issues with black ants, now this is the very first that i seen red ants. Everything i have tried has not taking care of or slowed them down...So now i need something to take care of them once and for all!

ccar2000 they want $15 for that 4 pound bag....on ebay they want $12 + $13 S&H=$25 for a 10 pound bag!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
DE can be bought at home depot and lowes guys....outside near the plants and stuff

·
Registered
342 Posts
For DE you might also try Rural King or Tractor Supply, someplace that sells poultry stuff. It is frequently used in chicken pens.

·
Registered
281 Posts
After trying other things, I put cups of vegetable oil with posts inside to support the hive. This solved the ant problem very well but too many bees missed their landing and died in the oil so I put old CDs on top of the posts. The CDs extend out over the cups like flat umbrellas to keep the bees from falling in. So far so good. This is probably not a commercial solution. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, I am not feed sugar but there was a pollen patty in the hive which I took out. The land that I (and now the bees)live on is really rocky and we have ants. Last evening I cleaned up the dead bees (RIP) and tried to remove the tangltree and hosed off the cinammon. Today there were a few more dead bees but I think I might have missed a few or there was still some sticky stuff-which they might have gotten into... Hopefully that is all. I am hoping they don't have dysentary or something... there were only a few dead bees so tonight when they are in there hives i will inspect around their hives.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I use the DE. I think the amount of bees that miss the landing or are for any other reason crawling to the hive are a negligible amount. Having said that I found that since my hives have built up (two deep brood boxes) they seem to dispatch the ants themselves. We will see what summer brings when the ants are more active. I believe my packages got a good start due to the use of the DE. It may not be what everyone wants to use but it is environmentally friendly:applause:!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
i dont throw it all over, just around the stand legs.....thats all i care about anyway and they are under. My ants are trained and they just sit and wait at the bottom below the landing board like sharks in the water.....only in one other spot have they actually gotten into the hives(no de used, i forgot). i then used DE and that solved that problem as well. I let the ants have anything below the landing board...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes DE will kill bees the same as other insects but if you put it down at night while the bees are safe inside it shouldn't cause a problem except for the occasional bee walking on the ground. DE lacerates the exoskeleton causing bugs to die of dehydration. But they have to walk in it or have some kind of direct contact. BUT...you should wear a respirator because the dust will scar your lungs.

·
Registered
405 Posts
There is no reason you should be having ant problems in Vt. What are they actually doing to your bees? I'm not far from you my in-laws live in Marshfield I'll probably be up there this weekend pm me if you need some help would be willing to stop by. Good luck either way bud

1 - 20 of 22 Posts