Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the reaction is localized to the hand. I can breathe fine, no problem there. The top of my hand is puffy, itchy and the skin is tight. Last year the doc gave me prednisone. I'd rather not go that route this time. Any suggestions?
Thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
As a novice, I cannot speak from experience.

But I think Hydrocortisone (May have a different name over in the US - may even be the same thing you got last time.) or some allgery-pills may do the trick.

But beware that you will get sleepy and should not drive etc.
Watch a nice movie instead and take a nap at the sofa.:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
I took a hit to the center of the bottom of my nose Sat. It hurt so bad it almost brought tears to my eyes. The pain only lasted about 5 minutes. I took some Sudafed decongestant. The only effect was slight swelling of cheeks, nose, and upper lip. I don't normally have much reaction other than a little swelling, whether it is on the hands or head. The allergy pills helped.

Next time I will remember to zip the veil, especially when working a crowded overflowing hive!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Benadryl helps some with homeopathic "Apis Mellifica" 30C pellets.
I have only been stung twice thus far. It has taken me three days for the swelling to subside and then the area is still itchy for two more days after that. Remember,any time you are stung on the hands you should remove all rings promptly.
Sorry for your discomfort.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you to all who answered. Good thing I didn't have any rings on! I guess I'll be sleeping good tonight with the Benedryl I'll be taking.
I had forgoten about the homeopathy. How many of the 30c apis m do you take?
Di
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,487 Posts
I'm finding the stings I'm getting at this time of year are more painful, with more swelling, about an hour after getting stung.
In the spring & summer, I hardly noticed the stings.
I just let it run its course, no allergy pill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,692 Posts
hey Kid,,,no disrespect,,short version,,,,I have dealt with the allergies since I was 13. I'm 57 . I took the shots for years and then they came out with whole be venom shots. Took those. I get stung often now with no serious reactions although I always, always, always,,,,,one more time,,always,,monitor my condition and keep an epi pen around. The swelling from a sting is less in some areas of the body and more so in others. There are so many factors that enter in to this,, sting site, amount of venom,,,your health,,,,,fatty tissue,,,,,,joints. and on and on. Swelling,,,redness, pain,,itchy is not necessarily a reaction of concern. Numerous posts on this subject. There are those that say the more u get stung the less symptoms there will be. Tain't necessarily so. Just be careful and enjoy;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Hi
On The same Road. Would Get a sting on the finger, whole hand would swell up . The Swelling Would take ,to long .....to go away . I started taking a Bioflavoniod supplement . swelling would be gone in less 36 hours. I do not swell as much now . I have taken a little over 40 stings in 2 years . gotten WAY better !!!:applause:
bioflavonoid = rutin, hesperidin, and quercetin
http://www.supplementfacts.com/BioflavonoidBookS6.htm
http://www.immunesupport.com/92fal004.htm
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,455 Posts
I agree with hydrocortisone cream and benedryl by mouth as the best "over the counter" remedy. I am getting stung less than when I first started, but still take one benedryl gel cap before working the hives.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
I agree with the others, depending on the sting, depending on the time of where, depending on the location on the body, you will get a different reaction. It's my second year with the bees, if I get stung in a fleshy area, I will feel it all of a couple of hours, my hands, ankles, less fleshy areas, lots of swelling still for days. Personally, I want to build up a resistence, so I ride it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
On top of the Benadryl and other goodies... Ice pack and elevate it above the heart. Laying on the couch with a cold beer in your swollen hand helps, but not after the Benadryl... You'll sleep for days!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
homeopathic "Apis Mellifica" 30C pellets.
3 pellets every 15 min. after initial sting for the first hour,then 3 every few hours after that. I put five in a bottle of water to sip on through the rest of the day. Three , 3x a day for the next 2 days. Tincture of time is what it really comes down to. I agree with Rick, It is wise to keep an Epi Pen readily available in the house, especially if they are at your home. You never know when you may need one for yourself or for someone you care about. I have two children so I have two for them and two for my husband and I. Our doctor had no problem RXing them when we told her our situation.

Hope you are doing okay. It should get better after today. the second day is always the worst for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
I find that if I get Benadryl in me within one minute of getting stung, I have very little reaction. I always take Benadryl with me to the bee yard and a thermos of water. If I don't get the Benadryl quickly, I will have itching, swelling and sometimes hives. Hives are scary if they get going in the airway.

I hate the swelling as it takes a week to go down. It can also cause pain in the joints of the wrist or elbow. Benadryl immediately saves my bacon.

I sometimes take Benadryl before going to work with the bees if I think they may be in a bad mood, or when robbing and you expect to have some irritated bees. I take two of the over the counter pills. 50 mg. One pill won't do it.

I cover everything and try not to get stung. It is going to happen though try as one may.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Last Friday afternoon, after waking up, getting off a night shift, I went down to check my hives.

I normally can walk up with in a couple of feet and observe what is going on with no threat what so ever.

After watching them for a few minutes, three of my Russians hauled out a bumble bee and threw it off the landing board.

The next thing I knew I was popped in the eyelid.

I stood there and took it like a man, reached up and pulled the stinger out.

It didn't hurt any more than getting hit in the arm or the belly, but the next morning this is what I had.



My daughter is an RN and she told me to take Benadryl, even tho I am on blood pressure meds to take the pressure off my retina.

It has been a week now and I am back to my normal radiant beautiful self.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,822 Posts
My 5 year old brother got one like Ron's this spring, except it was on the forehead and made both eyes go completely shut. If you are going to keep bees, get used to it. I have already had about a half dozen to the had this week, one on the ear, one on the forehead, etc. Sounds just like a localized reaction. If you have pain outside that area, then you could be allergic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,228 Posts
Your swelling should be better by now. If not, you may be on the way to an allergy.
I became allergic after several incidents that required prednisone and 7-8 days for the swelling to go away.

Good luck. I'm just down the road from you in Campell. If you have local questions feel free to contact me via PM.

Fuzzy
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top