Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So neighbor that is doing construction on other side of fence & cut down trees the other week. I got bees just this Sunday.

Yesterday I saw owner to let him know about Bees so he can let workers know.
I also asked if he was going to grind stumps in case I missed it being done... Yup , great 馃槖. It's about 4 feet from hive (other side of fence).

Need advise for this.

1) Should I ask him to have them do it early early am and keep the hive closed until they finish the 4 stumps near the fence done ?

2) make sure it's on a sunny day so most are gone ?

3) not worry about it.

I don't want anyone stung, but mainly I don't want to upset the hive that I just got. They are so sweet to me and if this makes them mad at me 馃

Registered
If you are in a nectar flow and they aren鈥檛 queenless or something weird, they may well carry on with no problem. However, I鈥檇 be a good neighbor and shut the hive up (ventilated) while the work is going on, then immediately open it up when they are done. It shouldn鈥檛 take more than 15 minutes to get it done if they have an appropriately sized stump grinder.

I鈥檝e ground stumps within 20 feet from my hives without issue. I also finish mow with the tractor at high RPMs all around them with no issues. Only time I made them mad was when I accidentally threw the grass clippings the wrong way 馃槼

Don鈥檛 worry about the bees attitude changing. Good bees will still be good bees once the work is complete. If they are annoyed, I would give them a day to settle down before opening the hive.

Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point. I think I am going to just have to leave them as they are. The tree guys are doing this as a favor and there is no scheduled date.
I now work 0530-1500 M-F.

We are going to get some cold days, 40's, maybe if they come those days it will be ok. Bees can't/ won't fly due to cold and will just deal with it.
Le Sigh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts