Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Stuff Happens.

3103 Views 9 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Aram
as many may know is a well known expression that many would say originated in New York City's, "Little Italy" or in the neighborhoods of Brooklyn. In its implied humor, it describes unfortunate events that occur which one has absolutely no control over, must inevitably accept, and do ones best to deal with, and hopefully overcome. Having lived most of my life in NYC, I have heard and used this expression often.

Well, wherever it originated, stuff happened to me this week - on this my second season of beekeeping. First, I found that I have a queenless hive with laying workers. You can read the discussion here:
http://www.biobees.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=45819#45819

I have top bar hives exclusively so I figured I'd post it here.

Today, I also discovered that one of the four nucs I acquired this spring is having big problems too. (I have two previous hives that barely survived the winter.) To keep it simple: I found little black rubbery dried up larvae on the screened bottom and many of the larvae inside the cells, in various stages of growth, seem blackened and dried up. The white larvae seem like they are not floating in liquid as in a healthy hive. The brood pattern is very irregular - all over the place - and in general it seems as if the hive is not thriving. I went to my beekeeping book and it says I have a bad queen. What solutions would you suggest for this situation? Giving this colony a bar of brood and eggs? Re-queening?

And what is this strange ailment killing the larvae making them black???

I read something online about a "stonebrood" that seems to fit the description. (?)
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
10,022 Posts
Chalkbrood goes from white to black as it gets mature/worse. Chalkbrood is also called rattlebrood by old beekeepers. Shake the frame and listen. Several really bad diseases cause dark brood carcasses like American Foulbrood and European Foulbrood. Ropy test is quick check as well as stage of brood affected. If it is AFB all your hives will be dead soon when the stronger hives rob the weaker and spread the spores. There are some less common brood diseases but you might be fortunate enough to have one of these rare maladies.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.