Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a study at Panjab University in Chandigarh, northern India, researchers fitted cell phones to a hive and powered them up for two fifteen-minute periods each day.

After three months, they found
the bees stopped producing honey,
egg production by the queen bee halved,
and the size of the hive dramatically reduced.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
If we made it where the user(s) of the phone paid for it's use the cell-phone-addicted bees would go back to work right after the service was cut off. ;)

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I've also drawn a correlation between the number of times my cell phone rings and a productivity decline. But I've also noticed answering the phone (it's black) while working a crabby hive makes for a very short conversation.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I've also drawn a correlation between the number of times my cell phone rings and a productivity decline. But I've also noticed answering the phone (it's black) while working a crabby hive makes for a very short conversation.
ha ha obviously your bees don't pass the cannon test

·
Registered
4,953 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
ha ha obviously your bees don't pass the cannon test
What's the cannon test?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
The Apple people could have a little fun by saying I Phone equipped bees are twice as productive as the Samsungs. Two times zero is zero still...right?

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
Thanks Dean. I guess the most glaring question from reading it, how does gathering data from cell phones placed directly inside a hive have relevance to the real world? And on top of that, two hives to base it all on!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
A physicist friend of mine will only use a cell phone when absolutely necessary, and then uses a headset hand holds the phone as far away from his head as possible. He's convinced the radio signals do cellular damage, and will tell you abut studies he has done.

It has been known for a long time that certain molecules and structures within cells will vibrate strongly when exposed to certain electromagnetic frequencies, causing, among other things, cell membrane damage. Tryphan blue, a stain used to detect dead cells, will show fluid leaking out of cells after such exposure. He says you can expose brain cells to cell phone signals and see this effect.

By coincidence, he used to keep bees. I imagine he would not strap a cell phone to the hive.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Well, I think it is an OK starting point....if there is a subtle effect from real world exposure it might be hard to measure.

·
Registered
606 Posts
That's a hoot, but there are a lot of variables not accounted for. For instance, were they smart phones, and if so, what games were installed? Did the phones have a talk and text plan, or just talk?

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
A physicist friend of mine will only use a cell phone when absolutely necessary, and then uses a headset hand holds the phone as far away from his head as possible. He's convinced the radio signals do cellular damage, and will tell you abut studies he has done.
Does this friend also walk where ever he needs to go. There have been lots of studies indicating the very real dangers of automobile travel.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
How so? If it starts out bad, how can it be a good starting point?
A friend of mine famously (writing for a major science fiction magazine) complains about an early explanation of the movement of planets in the skies, called "epicycles". Epicycles were wrong, an overly complicated analysis for which no physical basis could be determined, but they sorta fit the data. Eventually folks like Kepler and Newton provided the real answers.

I counter, yeah, epicycles were a bogus explanation, but for folks wondering why the "wandering stars" sometimes moved one way in the sky, then backtracked for a while, it served as a starting point for the discussion. More importantly, they made people measure these motions. After enough time, a few people started teasing out the truth from data taken on a false premise. The premise might be bad, but the data were good. And from that false premise, we can now navigate a space probe some billions of miles to pass by a tiny planet within a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
The study itself (at least the way it is written up) is flawed to the point of being unintelligible.

If I wanted to know if substance X harms the bees at Y concentration, it's probably a good first step (absent other data to piggyback off of) to see if you can measure harm of 10*Y and 100*Y concentrations.

·
Registered
606 Posts
So, back to reality. I recently read a study that measured a minute electrical charge produced by flowers, and showed that bees were sensitive to this charge. A bee landing on the flower would discharge the flower, and other bees would then avoid that flower, preferring flowers with a full charge.
Cell phones, being electric, would produce a minute field that may have affected the bees some way. Maybe not so crazy after all.
I think they should use a lot more than 4 hives, though, for a good sample size.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
How so? If it starts out bad, how can it be a good starting point?
If I'm curious about if/how toxic something is in real world exposure, I can pretty much discount it if I can't measure or observe toxicity at 10X or 100X real world exposure. A litmus test to see if there is anything to investigate.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Aunt Betty - I agree - If you don't equip your bees with cell phone's, none of this would be a concern :).....
Not to be a smartass or anything (because cell signals may be frying us all slowly) but my bees don't produce honey all year either (after a flow they slowdown/stop), and when the queen takes a break, her egg production usually cuts down by more than half.... and when this happens, naturally the size of the colony is dramatically reduced....
Wondering if seasonal timing had anything to do with the results......

Sky

1 - 20 of 24 Posts