Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought that this might help make everyone's day-

I just started teaching out at our alternative high school, mid-semester switch between schools, and mentioned to the kids that I was going to start my own beehive this spring. I brought in my helmet, veil and smoker and let the kids try it all out, and they just went crazy over everything. Now I've got something like 30 kids who all want to learn how to keep bees, and they've been asking our principal everyday if we can put a beehive in the school yard. For obvious reasons we probably won't be able to put a hive at the school, but I'm seriously considering having them build an observation hive that we can keep out somewhere else. Anyway, I just thought it was great that the kids found this so interesting, and that they showed so much interest in it!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I too see what you see.

As a general observation, I see that members of our local traditional beek-lub have no idea of the popular fascination that young people have with bees. AFAICT, CCD is about the best PR that the bees have every had. Our trad club is surprised to see other beek-lubs spring up catering specifically to this young demographic... It's just as well, because I'm increasingly seeing that the younger demographic is substantially different than the established beeks.

The new club is very inexperienced, but their enthusiasm is overwhelming... I think they will do great things...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Contact your local county AG agent Sometimes they have a lot of political pull and maybe the school will let you put the hive closer to the school if the get the right word from the right person

·
Registered
504 Posts
It would be cool if you could put the ob hive in a public place (plant nursery or something) with a sign that says "Beehive maintained by the students of XYZ school" That way you side-step school issues and get some notice. Just a thought.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Is there a nature center in town that might let you put in an observation hive? Also have you seen the teaching hive brushy mountain has? I'm not sure if it would be usefull to you or not, but I do think its a cool idea. There was also a thread the other day about making an observation thing for one or two frames of bees, where the bees can't get out but people can look at them. The school might be ok with that.

·
Registered
508 Posts
One thing I've found out working in a school system. If you can get a grant for it, they will let you do about anything.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Don't be too fast to assume what the school won't let you do. I'm going to start teaching middle school math in the fall of '11 and I fully intend to pursue a beeking club with an on-site apiary. A lot of my lessons are going to be hands-on beeking problems. Look into 4H and ag programs and other schools that keep hives onsite. You'll be surprised.

One alternative school in GA has an entomology/beekeeping program (one of their beek mentors is online on this forum) and there's a Montessori school in Decatur that has an apiary.

It's possible if you don't treat it like it's a ridiculous idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts