Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 hives that survived winter. One is taking off great with lots of bees, 5 or 6 frames of capped brood. Stores are growing. There’s even some freshly capped honey.

The other hive which was constantly behind this hive is just hanging on. Just a few hundred bees and a queen. Yesterday I saw just one small patch of brood in varied stages about the size of the palm of my hand. I know I have an underperforming queen and should replace her as soon as I can.

But for now, I took two frames of capped brood with bees that were covering from the strong hive and placed them in this weak hive. Hopefully this will encourage the queen to start laying some and maybe kick start the hive a bit until I get a new queen.

I get 2 more packages this weekend and I hope to end up with 4 colonies and not just 3.

Was this the best move? Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Any brood you take from a hive weakens it. If it's a real boomer, they probably can handle it and you won't know the difference. The brood you donated will be a shot in the arm to the weak colony. You didn't do anything wrong and it could turn out exactly like you thought: ie the queen kicks it in gear and you have two colonies. As Mr. Bush said, time will tell. I think if they were my colonies, I might have let the weak colony sink or swim on it's own. The comb that they have already built is a precious commodity. If they died out and it wasn't because of disease, that comb would be a HUGE bonus for your package bees. In the end, you'll learn more by making your own choices and then evaluating the results....good luck!

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
>So it was A move not neccesarily THE BEST move? But a reasonable gamble?

Yes. A reasonable gamble. You will find out if it was worth it. It could go either way. "You pay your money and you take your chances."--American Proverb

·
Registered
378 Posts
Mr.Bush has given us the wisdom of past experience...Gather what you can from it..you will either win big or have a great story for the next bee keeper to learn from.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
A good gamble I believe.
1. You ay have prevented (or at least slowed down) the chances of the strong hive from swarming.
2. You may have given the weak hive the "boost" it needed.

I have at least a nuc or two just for this very reason. You can pull stores and possibly a good laying queen at any time without weakening a good hive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts