Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had 2 strong hives swarm the last 2 days . i checked them every 7 days i must of missed the swarm cells . My question is , I have 3 supers on each and i put the undrawn frames toward center .thought i had under control. i know short answer i missed queen cell ,but what can i do to prevent next year?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I don't know New York weather--about how many 'warm' months do you have to go? You said the hives are strong--if they swarmed, they should have left behind a ton of capped brood. If you have a month or more of warm weather left, AND if your virgin queens hatch out and mate okay, you should be okay. Have the virgins emerged yet? Mine were laying about 15 days after emerging. Come back about 2 weeks after they emerge and see if you can find eggs (if you were able to find eggs usually)--if so, you should be okay. Also, it probably wouldn't hurt to feed them a bit--use 1:1 syrup until about mid September--that might help the new queen to lay more, then switch to 2:1 syrup until mid/late October. If you have pollen patties, it might be useful to throw one of those on when you first start seeing brood, if your queen makes it.

Of course, I defer to any experts that want to reply...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts