Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question:

Inspection of YARD#2/Hive#2 - 10 frame double deep was a super strong hive in March.

Today's inspection: LOTS of bees still, plenty of food stores (honey & pollen), NO larvae or eggs, VERY sparse capped brood around empty brood cells, and 9 emerged queen cells (chewed ends).

Not knowing when the queens actually hatched, approximately how long before I should see eggs & larvae?

I was concerned that there wasn't more capped brood to act as nurse bees when a new queen finally started laying. Should I be worried?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
When did you last inspect this hive? It will take the newly hatched queen about 5 days for her wings to harden before she can make mating flights. How soon she mates will depend on the weather. Usually she will start laying within a week after that. It is important not to disturb the hive during this time so I have been advised to stay out for 17 days and then inspect. No capped brood suggests that maybe this hive has swarmed several times and failed to requeen. This might be a time where you check the hive earlier to make sure it has a queen. I would add a frame of eggs/larvae from your other hive and then wait and see what they do. J

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I'll inspect it fully next weekend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts