Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate how time consuming it is to produce and feed sugar water..
Im starting 20 new packages this spring and am dreading the thought of it.
Currently I have hive top feeders. Any suggestions on equip or methods to process the sugar. One of my thoughts was to get a huge pot and a propane burner.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Sure quit using heat, use mixing instead. This coming year I will be making my feed 30gallons at a time, using a small motor and a large pait mixer. (paddel attachment, you would use in a drill)
This was shown to me by Don (fatbeeman).

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I have been known to put a hose on the bottom drain of my water heater and run it out to open drums in my truck.
40 gallons of hot water will make your dry sugar dissolve fast. I made a mixing paddle out of a 1"x3" x 4' long board with a scrap piece of plywood attached. Just stir it up and go.
I also had a bung on the side of the drum for pumping the sugar.
Ernie

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sure quit using heat, use mixing instead. This coming year I will be making my feed 30gallons at a time, using a small motor and a large pait mixer. (paddel attachment, you would use in a drill)
This was shown to me by Don (fatbeeman).
About how long would it take to desolve 30 gal. into syrup? So you just use cold water?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I've used a 1/2" drill and a large paddle mixer with excellent results. You can use tap water, just takes a little longer than hot water from the water heater. Mix in a 55 gal drum or large garbage can.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
It only takes a minute or two. I use just tap water and do 5 gallons at a time. 2 minutes with the drill and we are ready to roll....

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Make it in 5 gallon buckets using tap water and stir it as I am pouring the surgar with a large paint stick. Couple of minutes and done. But I do use hot tap water if the outside temp is in the 40's or 50's.

Then I just carry the buckets to the apiaries and feed them out of the bucket using a float. On a really hot day 10 hives will drink 5 gallons in 3 hours.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
AND thanks to USC's float idea, mine will do the same. It works GREAT!!!!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I have used the hottest tap water I could, into gallon jars, making about 14 gallons a time. But yes, that got tedious. I really like the idea of the garden hose connected to the hot water tank... Plan to use 5 gallon containers this year, and the hose method with the paint mixer... food grade buckets are available from local donut shops or bakeries. some are free, others charge :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts