Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on getting my first hive this upcoming spring. I will be getting a full ten frame hive from our local Dadant dealer. I am on the waiting list and have been told the bees will be ready in April. They will most likely come in a ten frame deep. I have been reading Michael Bushes wed site and like the idea of using all mediums I will use 10 frame.
I would like to split this hive. Can I just buy a queen and put her in the queen cage in a medium hive body with pf120 frames from brushy mountian and dump some of the bees from my hive in with her. Kind of like you would do with a package. Or would I be better to just put medium supers on top until they move up so I could eventually get rid of the deep box.

I would also like to start one hive from a package. Can I start them off in a medium with the pf120 frames? Thats the way I want all of my hives 10 frame med, with small cell frames. That would give me a total of 3 hives I think this would be plenty for my first year.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
It would be helpful if you could clarify. Just how are you getting your bees in April? A complete 10-frame hive? A nuc? And if a nucleus hive, how many frames? A package? That will determine how you deal with them, as each has a way of installation into new equipment.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am getting a complete 10 frame hive. I would like to split it if I can. And I would like to get a package also that way I will have an idea of how that is done also.

Or I could get two nucs for the same price as one hive would I be better doing that?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Hi John,
I think the question is, Is Dadant selling you a 10 frame hive with 10 drawn frames & packed full of bees & brood?
Or are they giving you a 10 frame hive with foundation that they might have installed a package or 5 frame nuc in for you?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is my understanding to be a hive with build out foundation. Last year I had a friend get one and it the hive swarmed shortly after he got it. That is why I was thinking I might need to split it soon after getting it. I will find out for sure before I buy it. If it is just a newly installed package I will just order a package and do it myself.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
John, I would suggest you get, in writing, clarification of exactly what you're getting. How many brood boxes, supers, etc etc. and whether the bees are from a package, or nuc, or whatever.

All things being equal, I've had my best luck with 5 frame nucs... As soon as I get them, by April 15 at the latest, (That's what works in SE Missouri), I install them in a 10-frame brood box, feed sugar syrup and pollen supplement. When they almost have all ten frames drawn out, I put on the second story. Feed Feed Feed... By the time the honey flow starts, they've just about got the second story drawn out... then I start supering...

I did that this past spring with two nucs of Russians. They came with 3 frames of bees on drawn comb, 2 extra drawn comb. Everything else was foundation. By the end of the season I was able to extract two shallow supers off one. Left a shallow on the other for winter...it wasn't doing quite as good as the first.

That's just what worked for me. Good luck!
Steven

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called today to find out exactly what a full hive ment. It sounds like it is basicly a split from one of the over wintered hives. So I am thinking I would be better off to go ahead and get two nucs and build them up my self.

I guess my question now is how hard is it going to be to get two nucs of full frame bees up into a medium. I would like to use all mediums.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
You might be able to find medium frame nucs in you're area. Ask around.

Otherwise my guess would be that you're first brood boxes on the bottom would have to be deeps. Then they would move up into the next medium & so on.

By the end of the season you could probably remove the bottom deeps if the brood is in the upper boxes.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I agree with KQ, if you get deeps you will be spending your first year with them, the amount of manipulation it would take to get them into a med right after you get them....well, lets just say you'd would be better off starting with packages.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
IMO, start with mediums if you want to run all mediums. I am pretty sure the hive you are purchasing from Dadant will be deep frames. Someone else reccomended med nucs, that would be a better start than packages on med foundation if you can find the med nucs. W started a new yard with 22/ 5 frame nucs picked up mid April and finished the pepper bloom (october)with 87 hives from the original 22. It was an aggressive splitting schedule but I could not have done that if I started with packages.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, for all of the advise!! I will be attending my first class the weekend and also attending my first meeting with our local bee club. So hopefully I can find a medium nuc locally. I had been told several times to reserve early that is why I went a head and put my name on Dadants list. Even though the bees will come on deep fondation. I figured atleast I would have some bees to get started with.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
John, I have an idea that you might want to try. If you are handy with a saw, that is.

Since nucs get off to a roaring start, much faster than packages, were I doing it, I'd go ahead and get the nucs. I'd nail together two deep boxes, one for each nuc. I'd transfer the nucs into the deep bottom box, but then put my first medium super on top, and feed feed feed. The bees should then as the brood emerges and the colony grows, move up into the medium body. And you have a strong colony, which should produce a honey crop the first year. And all in mediums. Plus hardly anything tied up in a deep box.

Another possibility is make arrangements with a local beek (there has to be a bunch around you) to borrow a deep brood box. Put your deep nuc frames in that box, and as mentioned above, encourage them to move up into the mediums by not putting any more deep frames in the box. Then after they've moved, and there's nothing downstairs, return the deep box to the original owner, with the now empty nuc frames as "rent" for the use of his box! :thumbsup: You have nothing invested in deep equipment, the equipment owner gets a few frames of drawn comb, everyone wins!

Just my 2 cents worth.
Steven

1 - 12 of 12 Posts