Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an unusual situation with a swarm yesterday. Maybe somebody out there has seen something like this before. Beehive that swarmed is in a remote location with no others around. 2 weeks ago today the hive was found to be broodless and queenless. THe state bee inspector was there that day and verified No queen, no brood, no queen cells. Just a heavy population of mean bees. The kind that wake up in the morning lookin for something to sting. There was not a laying worker situation, so the following day I requeened the hive. removed the queen cage a few days later and was planning to inspect this coming weekend. Yesterday the guy that lives nearby called me and said I had a swarm in a lone tree nearby the hive. Wife and I went out and captured and hived the swarm as usual. This was confusing to me so I went out today to inspect the existing hive. There was brood in the hive but No active or torn down queen cells.
Have any of ya seen anything like this?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
my bet is a feral hive nearby. good luck,mike

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Ditto that. I've found that the smell of bees seems to attract any nearby swarms to cluster close by.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts