Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought some used equipment from a reputable beekeeper (irradiated, etc.) and this is what the queen excluder looked like:

It is wood-rimmed, but has wooden slats in between the wire passageways. I've never seen an excluder like this (in my extensive 2 years as a beekeeper).

It looks like it would reduce the available passageways with the wood slats.

Anyone use these types? Comments?

Thanks - Steven

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
They were quite common/popular about two decades ago, and before. I still have two of them. I find that they work well, but are somewhat more difficult to clean (I clean the all wire ones with a propane torch).

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Yep...we run bunches of those. Not sure where they came (ie who made them) but seems they have been around for generations. They seems to work well...just a bit heavy.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
Reviving this thread, because the hive(s) that have this style of excluder on, the bees are not putting *any* honey in the supers!
Could this style of excluder be worse for honey collection than the standard ones?

-- Steven

·
Registered
977 Posts
Well there's usually a reason for things no longer being made, and it is usually not that they worked so well that they took them off the market....:lookout:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I had some of those that I got back in the 70's, probably through the Sears Farm Catalog. They worked as well as any other excluder that I've used since, so if someone stopped making them, it wasn't because they didn't work.

Not really sure what added benefit the slats offered. They lined up vertically with the frames in a ten frame box, so bees traveling upward were not blocked by the slats. If your bees aren't crossing this excluder, I'm guessing they wouldn't be crossing any excluder. Some bees are just like that, which is why I don't use an excluder any more except when doing a split or I need to confine the queen, like for cell building.

Wayne

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
michael palmer is correct. they were made by root and claimed to be better because bees prefere to walk on wood. they did not work out very well. good to add to your collection.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have one of those that someone gave me Pre 1953. I still use it maybe once a year. Don't know when it was made, but was a used one at the time. CDowdy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts