Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to my hive today to give the girls a new jar of syrup. As I was changing out the empty jar I seen a bee that I could have sworn had pollen laden legs. :s Seems way to early for that, so I sat down and watched. Sure enough, within a few minutes three more came back to the hive with big clumps of whitish-yellow pollen stuck to there legs. :scratch: Being completely stumped for answers I decided to finish feeding the rest of the critters and go look online for answers. As I approached the hog pen I observed a large number of bees around and in the feed (pulverized corn) that was left over from yesterday. To my amazement, they were collecting the fine powder in the corn like it was pollen. I'm not sure what to make of this. Corn? I guess its got some nutrition... but as a substitute for pollen?

When the weather started to warm I ordered pollen patties and they should be here tomorrow so I can give them the "good stuff" as soon as it gets here. yesterday I got in there and cleaned out the dead bees and looked to see how the hive was fairing through the bad winter and my beginner skills. Hive looked good, top deep had no bees but about 50% full of capped honey the rest of the frames were drawn comb and 2 1/2 empty frames. Bottom deep was half full of bees and some had left for the day so it seems strong for a swarm that I hived in late June. The bottom deep was about 60% empty brood comb with what looked like jelly in a few and the rest was more capped honey. Very little pollen was in the hive some that had been mixed with honey but not much and I'm fairly certain none of it was corn. But today there attacking the corn dust, anyone have any thoughts or concerns? I can't see the harm in it but as I mentioned before my skills and basic so any input would be well received.

·
Registered
59 Posts
They could be finding some early pollen. They bring it in much earlier than you would think. Mine were bringing it in like crazy today.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They could be finding some early pollen. They bring it in much earlier than you would think. Mine were bringing it in like crazy today.
I guess they could but there not, they are collecting corn dust. I spent the better part of an hour watching them collect corn dust from the hog feed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What would concern me is what kind of corn was used, GMO? I plant like crazy a 1/4 to half mile in every direction to try to keep my bees in an area where they won't be exposed to cornfields a couple miles away that are GMO. We have some here who do not grow GMO, (mostly Amish) but from my research, almost all the corn raised commercially is GMO, and if that doesn't bother you that is your business, but that is all that would concern me about that. Way I (novice) see it, is that they know a lot more about what they need than we do so if they are collecting it, they must think they will use it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Zach
They should be bringing in pollen in our area soon but get the patties on when you get them.
I lost one hive with stores about 1" from the cluster so I pulled the frames and set them out yesterday and my daughter had to use the back door to the wood shop because of all the bee's.
They are cleaning up the pollen and honey.

Off topic for The Valley
How is the weather there?
I had a hunting camp in East Waterford about 8 years ago.
I will be checking it out in July when we visit the Inlaws.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What would concern me is what kind of corn was used, GMO? I plant like crazy a 1/4 to half mile in every direction to try to keep my bees in an area where they won't be exposed to cornfields a couple miles away that are GMO. We have some here who do not grow GMO, (mostly Amish) but from my research, almost all the corn raised commercially is GMO, and if that doesn't bother you that is your business, but that is all that would concern me about that. Way I (novice) see it, is that they know a lot more about what they need than we do so if they are collecting it, they must think they will use it.
Wow I hadn't considered the GMO angle. Now that I think about it, I'm not to ok with that ether. I think I will stop free feeding the pigs to allow them to clean up all the feed every day. At least that way I wont be free feeding it to the bees ether. Just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
737 Posts
We did not get any rain here. I had those frames set before sunrise and there were bee's flying around them at dawn.
I am hoping it warms up Saturday so I can do a better inspection of my other hives.
I installed new patties on them Monday.

Good luck.
I may look you up next time I float Jacks Fork River.
Jim

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hoot Owl Lane Bees, The weather is horrible, nice day today, but we have about 14" of snow on the ground and rain coming, not a good mix. It is supposed to be in the mid 50s here Saturday, and I will use that time to crack open the lids for the first time since November and put some pollen patties in. It has been a rough winter, but when warm-up gets them flying, the Silver Maples already are forming flower buds, so they will have reasons to fly other than cleansing. We had two warm days in December and they were hanging all over the hive. I have been putting an ear to the side every couple days, and am greeted with peaceful humming. When you plan to be up this way, give a shout!
This is also about the time of year "Honey Creek" got it's name 150 years ago. Same kind of whether, and old man Alexander lost all 99 of his hives in the un-named creek due to flooding, been known as "Honey Creek" ever since. :) I have no desire for the name of the creek that runs through our backyard to be renamed because of similar circumstances.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Bees gathering pollen like substances. Cracked corn chaff from feed troughs or bird feeders for instance. Coal dust. Saw dust. Other things too.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The Valley
I remember 2006 hunting an island on the Tuscarora in Honey Grove. My son got a 9 pointer in the rain, we figured we would go there the next morning. It rained all night and the creek came up 12'. It was just under the tree stand.
Good luck Saturday.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts