Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have experienced a strange thing going on this season. I have 5 healthy strong hives. But I have a very random issue that I am not sure what to do about. There is one spot in my yard about 10 feet from my hives where (this has only happened three times this season so far) a get a random psycho honeybee that goes on the defensive if someone is in that particular spot.

Each time this has happened I have suited up and checked the hives and I am not getting aggressive behavior from any of them when I open them.

Again it has been infrequent and each time it has only been one bee. It is not every time someone is in that area that this happens. Could it just be random. Or should I be looking for something else?

Outside these three instances there has been no aggressive issues from any of the hives.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Just positing a thought, has there been anything spilled on the ground in that area in the past few years? Something would seem to be triggering a defensive response and a bee's sense of smell is extremely acute.

My suggestion is to bring a flyswatter with you next time. Life is too short to put up with one annoying bee.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing that did happen was my father spray painted a garden trellis at the beginning of March. And now thinking of it that was around the time this silliness started. Is it possible that could be it ? Seems like a long time and lots of rain etc that an odor would
Still persist.

We actually have a spray bottle with soap water handy in case it happens again.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Cant say one way or the other if this was the cause, but can say that bees can smell in the parts per trillion. You may be able to train them to associate whatever they are smelling with a food reward, ie., a feeder, thus limiting their aggressiveness. See https://jeb.biologists.org/content/210/22/4024 for an article about adaptive learning in response to olfactory stimulus

·
Registered
248 Posts
Are you sure these are random bees attacking you? I had one "crazy" bee doing exactly what you described - it literally would bounce inches from the face, I would never go to that spot without a veil and it would take just mere seconds for the bee to appear there once you get there and she would be relentless. I caught her with a net and that was the end of it. It was a single bee, the event lasted for about 2 weeks until I could not stand it anymore as the spot was right on my deck that I (and family) had to cross many times going in and out of the house... Once that bee was put to rest, it went away, other bees are not interested.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I say random cause the first time it happened I got stung. So I know that the first bee was dead. Thankfully it’s not a spot that anyone hangs around in the yard. It’s just strange. But since it doesn’t happen everyday. I wasn’t making a big deal over it. Just don’t want to wake up to a torrent of aggressive bees that requires me to put down a hive. I have checked the hives each after each incident to see if any of them start attacking when it would make sense for them to (opening the hive).

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
626 Posts
Maybe when you walk in that area it kicks up a scent.... maybe pour lemonGrass all over that area ?

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Twice I have had rogue bees in otherwise gentle hives. It was unexplainable and out of character. One would chase anyone on the patio like a yellow jacket does. In my case, killing the individual bee ended it. Of course, I dont know if it was the same bee but killing them ended it. J

1 - 9 of 9 Posts