Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my bee yard today and near the hives there was almost a perfect circle of about 5 ft diameter where all of the grass and vegetation was dead. Almost like someone had sprayed Round UP. But it was a circle and there was nothing else like it throughout the yard. All hives looked healthy. I thought this could be an area where deer bedded down but they would not make a complete circle or kill all of the grass. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,509 Posts
This is exactly it.Amazing.
Many years ago I had the second type, where there is a dark green ring. Had to look it up too. I get the third type with the mushrooms fairly often here, never the dead grass like you had.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My family didnt beleive me so I walked them down to see it. Of course, they felt it was the landing of a space ship. Maybe the Martians wanted some honey. It is strange.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Per Wikipedia:
"One of the largest rings ever found is near Belfort in northeastern France. Formed by Infundibulicybe geotropa, it is thought to be about 600 metres (2,000 ft) in diameter and over 700 years old. On the South Downs in southern England, Calocybe gambosa has formed huge fairy rings that also appear to be several hundred years old."

The ring may outlive you. : )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts