Can a large swarm of bees pop a tire?

• Yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 80.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! This may seem like a strange question, and I must agree that it is. But it is something I need answered and was hoping coming to the experts would get me that answer!

Could enough bees actually deflate/pop a tire? A single tire with no rim, not attached to a vehicle. If a swarm of bees stinging/biting a lone tire actually pop it?

Why/why not?

Thank you for entertaining my stupidity 馃槄 and as ridiculous as it sounds, thank you for the help as well!

Registered
I love that you self depricate while asking the question in sincerity. If you read this forum long enough you will see that there is one answer that comes up over and over again: It depends. :LOL:

In my mind there is no way a bee's stinger could ever puncture a tire, and a million bees' stingers still could not. They just are not long and hard enough...... o_O .... knock it off.

However, given the right scenario, anything is possible in this crazy world. At least, that's what quantum mechanics teaches us.

I stand by no.

Registered
Oh! Unless it's "murder hornets" or "killer bees". Just dawned on me your name is HorrorFan. :rolleyes:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh! Unless it's "murder hornets" or "killer bees". Just dawned on me your name is HorrorFan. :rolleyes:
To put the ridiculous question in context, I have a podcast where we are doing a March Madness bracket of Horror characters and Candyman vs Robert The Tire (movie Rubber) was drawn at random and it was an obvious pick for Candyman for two of us and one co-host picked Robert the Tire. The point of Candyman sending a massive swarm of bees to attack Robert was brought up and really took flight with our listeners. Putting aside all the other reasons we believe Candyman would win, I wanted to try and get actual points on the bee thing since this was pretty much isolated from the discussion (go figure :rolleyes:). I wasn't sure if a bee could possess enough ability to actually pernitrate a tire, as small as the puncture would be. But my thought process was enough stingers puncturing a tire, and a bee's ability to bite (????) times however many thousand would eventually deflate poor Robert. These bees coming from Candyman, taking away any type of magical powers/murder hornets and keeping bees in as realistic form as possible, I would imagine would be a higher caliber of bee (not sure however many different types there are) being driven to specifically attach this tire, wasn't sure the outcome lol.

Registered
Your question just got even better! Thank you for this!

I'm a big fan of speculative fiction, even have two books published (one for reals, one on amazon) and am cheesy as hell when it comes to these things.

Can we get a link to your podcast?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your question just got even better! Thank you for this!

I'm a big fan of speculative fiction, even have two books published (one for reals, one on amazon) and am cheesy as hell when it comes to these things.

Can we get a link to your podcast?
Sure!

iTunes

Spotify

Hopefully I can get some more insight on this insane scenario from others too! lmao

Registered
I am surprised that you didn't promote your podcast right out of the gate. I had to ask. Good for you!

Applause, if I could find the icon.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If we can suspend reality to believe in Robert the Tire, we can most assuredly suspend it long enough to believe that bees could puncture him.
As true as this is, I don't want to suspend reality too much. I want to keep this as realistic as possible.... As difficult as it is lmao

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I am surprised that you didn't promote your podcast right out of the gate. I had to ask. Good for you!

Applause, if I could find the icon.
Yeah I feel bad coming to you guys' forum promoting my own thing. Not what I was here for lol

But best believe I'll be mentioning this forum on our next episode... Not sure how much of a bee/horror crossover audience there is but just to show appreciation for dealing with the stupidity if nothing else 馃槀馃槀

Registered
I have started using old tires as hive stands, they are impervious to bees. I have, however, had to pull porcupine quills out of my tires from time to time...so far none have resulted in leaks.

Registered
Hi everyone! This may seem like a strange question, and I must agree that it is. But it is something I need answered and was hoping coming to the experts would get me that answer!

Could enough bees actually deflate/pop a tire? A single tire with no rim, not attached to a vehicle. If a swarm of bees stinging/biting a lone tire actually pop it?

Why/why not?

Thank you for entertaining my stupidity 馃槄 and as ridiculous as it sounds, thank you for the help as well!
since the tire is not on a rim, it contains no air, therefore, popping is not possible.

Registered
"This is my favorite thing that's ever happened"

I love how your two co-hosts laughed at us being serious about a real thing while you guys are discussing fictional killers!

I am a listener from here on out!

:ROFLMAO: :cool:

Registered
"This is my favorite thing that's ever happened"

I love how your two co-hosts laughed at us being serious about a real thing while you guys are discussing fictional killers!

I am a listener from here on out!

:ROFLMAO: :cool:
Hi there!

I'm one of the cohosts from the aforementioned podcast. I think (?) I was the one who originally brought up the bees being able to swarm Robert the Tire and even though I meant it as a joke, I have had the time of my life watching the science unfold around it.

It made my day to learn on the podcast that bee experts had been consulted about my comment, and reading how this whole thing has progressed has just been seriously awesome.

Thank you so much for the very helpful and accurate responses to our objectively ridiculous questions. :LOL:

(On a side note, is there anyway I could get a link to the books you mentioned? I'd be very interested in checking them out!)

Registered
Hi there!
(On a side note, is there anyway I could get a link to the books you mentioned? I'd be very interested in checking them out!)
Sure. Two books:

Quantum Passage, which apparently is no longer in print because the publisher returned the rights to me a couple years ago and ended the publishing contract. I guess I can still put this back in the Kindle store published by me. I was unaware of this.

Quantum Passage

An Unholy End. This one I put in the Kindle store a while ago and it still available there.

An Unholy End

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys!

Our Candyman topic, which was the reason for this original post, came up during the show again and made me want to pop in and say hey and thanks again for your help with the topic! 馃槃馃槃馃槃

Registered
Although bees puncturing a tire, inflated or not, is rather unplausible, the effect of being in the middle of a swarm is a bit disorienting. We get our perception of position from the static objects around us. Having our surroundings spin can cause a body to loose it's sense of balance. Case in point, in college when the drunken fools would return from a night a imbibing, the sober individuals would surround the drunken fool and slowly start to sway back and forth. You could almost make the drunken fool fall over.

Crazy Roland

Registered
Maybe, if Robert's connective tissues were made of fondant, they could take him apart by eating it slowly. :eek:

Alex

1 - 20 of 20 Posts