Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank God no one was injured in our neck of the woods. I have a friend that ordered a package of bees and didn't get his boxes built in time. I gave him one of my medium boxes and now it is about time to add another box. He is going to be using a deep and medium for brood and I would like to know the best way to get the deep on bottom. Should he put the deep on top of the medium and let them draw the foundation as normal this year and then swap the boxes in the spring or can he add the deep to the bottom and let them move down to draw out that box? Let's pray for the folks in Mississippi that have lost loved ones tonight. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
It shouldn't matter if he puts it above or below the already occupied super, just don't give them another super until they have most of the new super filled. Remember to keep up on it, especially during a honey flow. They can grow incredibly fast during a honey flow.

·
Registered
760 Posts
just leave it under the deep until next spring - at that time the bees will have moved up and the super will be empty and all drawn out ready for honey next season

OR

place a few frames of drawn comb in the deep and shake a few handfulls of bees into the deep box - place the queen in the deep and put a queen excluder on top of the deep and then put the super back on

the bees will finish the brood cycle in the super and by that time the queen will have started laying in the deep below

hope that helps you out

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. As sit here and think about what I posted, I might have a question that would give a better answer. Is there a reason to have the medium above the deep? Or is it just our habit to put smaller things on top of larger things?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
It doesn't matter what order you place them. Bees like to work up but they will work down also with such a small area on top. He might have less chance of them swarming if he places the deep on top until they are drawing the foundation out on a 3-5 frames first. The queen should start laying in the top deep then it can be moved below.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I stared a swarm in a med last year added a deep to the top and wintered them that way. When I rottated the baxes this spring the Med was for the most part empty so a added a deep of drawn cone froma dead out. This works good I preffer to use double deeps for the brood boxes.
Marty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts