Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A tornado blew my chicken trailer over and it landed on a bee box. 20200624_154215_1593111879089.jpg suggestions on moving the bees in to a new box?

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,196 Posts
well likely you need some "parts"

top. bottom, box, get those asap

take the frames out carefully, very close to the original site set a bottom, and box and slowly add good frames, shake the smashed frame of bees if possible, in to the hive.
Hopefully you get half the frames as good, add in some new ones, put a inner cover with holes or Q-excluder on top. drop in all the rest of the brood and some of the stores into a box on top the cover. In time the brood hatches and that comb can be tossed.

don't be too fussy, if you can push the comb into some resemblance of its former self the bees will reattach, you can cull it later.

IMO if you can salvage 1/2 the combs and 75% of the bees you should have survival.

BIG point get it done today, overnighting side ways in the rain will not buy you bonus points.

The queen is a potential problem, with any luck she survived, if not they should have eggs to initiate replacement.
If you give them a lot of new frames consider feeding.

GG

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,196 Posts
if you do not have the top bottom and Boxes, try to fix up what is there the best you can, kinda in a hive for 3-5 days while you build/buy/ or find a new hive is better than waiting,,,, done is better than perfect here.
use some duct tape on the outside to "repair" if necessary

GG

edit , expect them to be pissed, this is not something to do in your shorts and a T shirt :)
Very similar to bear clean up.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
625 Posts
Hope you already got them settled.
But in a pinch you could always use a good cardboard box and makshift something for a hanger for frames. Just to get them secured till you can provide something better.
Hope the chickens were ok 😞 I miss having chickens

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Man, they got their panties in a twist, didn't they? :lookout:
Seriously, I hope that was all the damage you suffered and everyone is unharmed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts