Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a few bottles from my first batch made in 2001, stored on their sides in dark dry basement aprox. 60-65 degrees F. was a very sweet (sack) mead with about a 12-14% alcohol....how long can this be stored...cracked one past summer and has smoothed out but still very sweet. secondly i want to do another batch this year but mix w/ red grape juice as i have some cool cobalt blue bottles to put it in...any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Re: storing mad

I do not have your will power - long term storage is one problem we never have at our house. We must havea ghost, because someone pulls the corks and the stuff disappears fast. Can't quite figure it out, but I'll take another sip and ponder it some.

The mead may continue to mellow over time. If it was sweet when you bottled it, it will remain sweet unless for some reason fermentation has started again. Depending on your yeast choice, the 12-14% alcohol levels may have indeed killed off the yeast and it is no longer viable. If fermentation resumes or has never fully stopped, you may end up with glass grenades in the basement. If you want to, next time freeze it at or just before bottling time. Redstone Meadery in Boulder, Colo. does that to kill yeast. The first I'd heard of that method was last Jan. when we toured their meadery. Best darn mead we've ever tasted... I can only hope & dream of making batches that delicious.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts