Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be extracting supers this year for the first time. I was wondering how i needed to store my extracted supers until next year.. Just my 2nd year at this..

·
Registered
124 Posts
i was told that to store your supers from the wax moths, which are the main thing to protect your supers from,is to use moth crystals, NOT MOTHBALLS. first put about a table -spoon of the crystal in a garbage bag then place the supers with the frames, close bag air tight. NOTE remove the supers about 48 hours before use to let them air out. GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Use paradichlorobenzene only. You can buy it at Walmart. It MUST have paradichlorobenzene as the main ingredient listed.

Anything with naphthalene will contaminate the frames and foundation, this is the main ingredient in "moth balls", this is what you DO NOT WANT!

As for storing supers I stack mine 15 high and place a screened inner cover on top. I then put paradichlorobenzene on the screen and cover with a outer cover. I check every 10-14 days and replenish as needed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same question regarding empty frames. I am using frames with wax foundation and crushing/straining the honey rather than extracting. I've put the empty frames back in the super and given them back to the bees to clean up the remaining honey. Do I still need to store the frames as you've described here?

DKBee

·
Registered
41 Posts
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It's easier to keep the moths at bay than it is to get rid of them and you may keep other pests out of your stored supers.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I am having good luck with the Bt aizaway spray. (This is my first season trying it)

Sundance sells it, just give it a search on here. Much easier to use than PdB and I like the idea that it is biological control vs. chemical control.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I have the same question regarding empty frames. I am using frames with wax foundation and crushing/straining the honey rather than extracting. I've put the empty frames back in the super and given them back to the bees to clean up the remaining honey. Do I still need to store the frames as you've described here?

DKBee
No

·
Registered
869 Posts
Also freeze the frames for about 48 hours if you can, after you've let the bees clean out the excess honey. This supposedly kills the wax moth eggs and larva. That then storing them in bags with the moth crystals are what most people I know do.

C2

·
Registered
275 Posts
After the bees clean them up nice and dry I spray them with XENTARI, cross stack until dry again and then store them. Stack them about nine high in the shed with a queen excluder on the bottom and one the top to keep mice out. If the comb is nice and white the wax moths should leave them alone but better safe than sorry. With the XENTARI a moth egg may hatch but the larva quickly dies. When I had less supers I would freeze them before spraying but too many now.

Good luck,

Pete0
Bena, VA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts