Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I stored some hive bodies inside but stacked so that daylight was penetrating through to prevent wax moths. However SHB found it's way in and layed some eggs on each frame and now have larvae going through it. I know that SHB larvae are not as fearful from light as wax moth so what is one to do?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Use the moth crystals! Paradichlorobenzene! If you stack wet supers you WILL get SHB. I would first take them out and wash all the larva out with a hose. Let them dry and then stack tightly and add a paper plate of crystals on the top box and cover with a telescoping cover. Just air them out for a couple days before placing back on the bees. BTW, don't leave open honey in your honeyhouse either. You will soon have millions of SHB and SHB larva in everything. :(

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a chest freezer for my frames. Before I place any useable frames back
on Hives they go into the freezer. This helps in controling SHB,Wax worms .
I allso use solar melter to clean out old frames before reusing them. Henry

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
If frames are wet with honey, give back to bees to remove excess honey. Then put frames in freezer for 24-48 hours.
Remove frames and put them back in boxes.
Put box(es) and frames insiide large yard bags (heavy duty).
Tie the bags shut.
Then take string or thin wire and tie the bags again below where you tied the bag shut using the bag itself.
Stack for next year.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Ok, so I stored some hive bodies inside but stacked so that daylight was penetrating through to prevent wax moths.
Sunlight will NOT stop the wax moths ! Extracted combs MUST be put on the bees to be "cleaned-up', or put in a freezer, stored ( sealed up ) with moth crystals. I prefer napthalene to "para".

·
Registered
671 Posts
I prefer napthalene to "para".
I would caution against the use of naphthalene...(mothballs) it is not the same as PDB. Naphthalene use is discouraged because it can kill bees and accumulates in the wax.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts