Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve removed a small super to lessen the real estate my bees have to cover. I froze the frames with a small number of capped brood on a couple of frames. I don’t have much freezer space so is it OK to store those frames at room temperature without worry that the brood will rot?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,796 Posts
You might try sticking the super back on the hive and let the bees clean out the dead brood. Should not take them long. Nancy is right, rotting brood is an awful stench, especially when your bee room is a spare bedroom in your house.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You might try sticking the super back on the hive and let the bees clean out the dead brood. Should not take them long. Nancy is right, rotting brood is an awful stench, especially when your bee room is a spare bedroom in your house.
Will they clean this completely if you put it above an inner cover, like putting on a just extracted super frame?

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,796 Posts
Will they clean this completely if you put it above an inner cover, like putting on a just extracted super frame?
Never tried it that way, but I don't think so. Always have thought that above the inner cover and the bees do not consider it part of the hive. Next time i get a dead out with brood, I will give it a try. Very unscientific, but will satisfy my need to know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve removed a small super to lessen the real estate my bees have to cover. I froze the frames with a small number of capped brood on a couple of frames. I don’t have much freezer space so is it OK to store those frames at room temperature without worry that the brood will rot?

Thanks!
The brood will begin to rot and stink to high heaven. Any frame that only has honey will be fine.

Nancy
I have had that occur I removed 2 frames which had sealed/unsealed honey, polls. and brood in the middle of the frame from my hive. After leaving them stored in the shed all the brood has died and rotted and mould was growing on the frames and it stank just like you said

1 - 6 of 6 Posts