Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best way to store foundation, that won't be used this season?

Room temp, fridge, zip lock, ?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
keep at room temp- any thing less will cause it to brake and chip up
Room temp is probably desirable, but as long as it isn't being handled and jostled about it'll be fine.

I went to a yard sale once after seeing a poster saying they had bee stuff for sale. Got there late and didn't see any beekeeping equipment and asked about it. They said they had sold everything except for some boxes in the back of the barn that had been there for years. It was box after box of foundation, as good as the day they bought it. I've kept it in my barn and use it every year. No problems.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I still have some medium foundation that was my dad's. He stopped keeping bees around 1970. It still works fine. It sits in a box in my basement. It was sitting in a machine shed on his place for many (15) winters before I started beekeeping and took it. It is unwired, so I don't use it much any more. I do have his embedder, but I guess I am too lazy to wire anymore.

I last used some about 5 years ago and it was still fine.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
In Concord, I assume that you have A.C. Keep the foundation in the house with the AC.
Don't put into a shed or a non-insulated garage.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
I have open boxes of foundation stored on a shelf for over 25 years in my uninsulated, not air conditioned shop, here in San Mateo,all in perfect condition. I bet it's been well over a 100 degrees and almost below freezing in there many times over the years. No moth problems, no mice problems, no sticking together problems, no problems at all except that I don't use that size any more.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks OD
I was thinking the same thing, I know back east in Ohio we had occasional 110F days, so over 100f is common for almost any state in the summer.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
odfrank do you need my shipping address for the foundation you do not use? I wish I could find a sale with boxes of stuff or maybe a round spinny thing with a motor and a valve at the bottom that is so big it will not slide around in my truck. If there is a shiny tank thing I will just have to tie it on the bumper or something because it IS coming home.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Room temp is probably desirable, but as long as it isn't being handled and jostled about it'll be fine.

I went to a yard sale once after seeing a poster saying they had bee stuff for sale. Got there late and didn't see any beekeeping equipment and asked about it. They said they had sold everything except for some boxes in the back of the barn that had been there for years. It was box after box of foundation, as good as the day they bought it. I've kept it in my barn and use it every year. No problems.

Same here only it was boxes my grandfather had, he had not had bee since the late 70s.

I was amazed at how well it kept.

K

1 - 11 of 11 Posts