Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long can 2:1 syrup be stored? And how do I store it?

I made up 4 gallons of syrup and put a few on my two hives. I currently have 1 gallon in my fridge in a feeder bucket, but it's just taking up space. The bees don't seem to be taking any syrup since 10 days ago when I put the pails on the hives. I'm afraid I'll be taking mostly full pails back off soon as the weather gets colder.

Can I store this until next spring?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
refrigeration will be your best bet, it will mold and ferment otherwise
 

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
Joined
·
6,531 Posts
2:1 does not mold nearly as fast as 1:1 does. I fact, I have not seen it mold here at all. I only use 2:1 once the weather starts to get cooler, but it was about 80 today. If in doubt, put in a tsp. or two of regular household bleach per gallon and you won't have any problems storing it until next spring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I actually did put a glug of bleach and a few drops of lemongrass into the 4 gallons. I should inspect the hives, but I'm afraid of messing things up this late in the year. I'm assuming they're not taking syrup because they're full. I'll likely take a look on the next nice day, but even so, I can't force them to take the syrup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,322 Posts
Refrigeration ? Strewth ... :scratch:

Get yourself some clean containers (4 pint milk jugs are ideal) - 'sterilise' them with weak bleach solution for 24hrs, then add a splash of bleach to the 2:1 syrup (eggcupful to the gallon). Fill the jugs nearly to the top, then store in a dark, cool place over winter. That syrup will still be usable six months from now. :)
LJ

PS - I use ordinary 'thin' bleach from the supermarket - NOT the thick stuff which is designed to stick onto toilet bowl walls which has additional chemicals in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I've been successful at keeping mold from less than1:1 syrup even in the Texas heat in summer for 4-6 weeks by using citric acid to reduce the ph to 4-5. I had close to 20 gallons sitting in my tank for that long this summer in the heat. Not sure where I got that tip bit it seems to work for me, and no bleach needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
If you want to ensure the syrup is highly unlikely to mold or ferment, treat it with Mann Lake Pro Health or Honey Bee Healthy. I have stored syrup for over 4 months in warm weather this way.
 

·
Registered
65 colonies +/- mostly Langstroth mediums, a few deeps for nuc production
Joined
·
491 Posts
Your nighttime temps may be low enough that the chilled syrup does not warm up enough in the daytime for them to take it. Even with a box around the pails it is a lot of mass to warm.
Some folks feed with a ziploc bag directly on top the frames in a shim to extend the feeding time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,970 Posts
Just put on 2:1 a couple weeks ago that I made 2 years ago. Absolutely fine. If you are doing pails, made sure its liquid and holes are not clogged. J
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,481 Posts
I have 2 to 1 that was mixed last year still stored in a tank outside, I just fed a bit of it recently and it still good, no additives in it. It does have a few blobs of black mould growing on the surface, I think where there were some dead bees. But the syrup itself seems fine, the bees I fed some of it to recently certainly drank it up quickly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
I have fed pure 2:1 in the spring, which I mixed in the fall, 6 months or so before. That was kept in an unheated garage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well one hive ended up eating the whole 2 gallon pail, and the other only finished maybe 1/4 gallon. Both hives have a full 2nd deep of honey/syrup on top, and I didn't delve into the bottom except to put the reducers in. I think I'll put another splash of bleach in the leftover syrup, seal the mesh top, and leave it in my unheated porch. I'm assuming you can smell bad syrup?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I figured out why the one hive only took 1/4 gallon. I opened up the lid and there was an entire inner "lid" of crystallized syrup! I don't think there was any way for the bees to get to it. Oh well, they seemed full-enough, at least. They are officially buttoned up for the winter. Is there a good way to prevent this crystallized "lid" in the future?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,481 Posts
That just happens if the syrup is sitting there too long. So it's just a case of ensuring the bees take the syrup soon as you feed them.

To achieve that, the hive should be strong enough in bees to access the syrup, have room to put it, have the entrance to the feeder positioned where there are plenty of bees, and not be very sick with mites. And of course, have the feeder set up in a way that bees won't drown in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That just happens if the syrup is sitting there too long. So it's just a case of ensuring the bees take the syrup soon as you feed them.

To achieve that, the hive should be strong enough in bees to access the syrup, have room to put it, have the entrance to the feeder positioned where there are plenty of bees, and not be very sick with mites. And of course, have the feeder set up in a way that bees won't drown in it.
Thanks. I guess it's just the case that the bees didn't really want it. I top-feed in pails, so no drowning and decent access.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,522 Posts
I think I figured out why the one hive only took 1/4 gallon. I opened up the lid and there was an entire inner "lid" of crystallized syrup! I don't think there was any way for the bees to get to it. Oh well, they seemed full-enough, at least. They are officially buttoned up for the winter. Is there a good way to prevent this crystallized "lid" in the future?
Hey Jimbo, this is why we don't feed 2:1 here. We just start feeding earlier in fall than some would and feed roughly a 5:3 ratio. Getting 2:1 to stay suspended in the syrup takes more work than I care for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,522 Posts
Not sure how long it will last exactly without something like an acidifier, bleach, or HBH. I do everything in my power to not have to store feed and to not add any additives. Longest I have ever kept it out of the hives was 5-6 days
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,970 Posts
Just put on 2:1 a couple weeks ago that I made 2 years ago. Absolutely fine. If you are doing pails, made sure its liquid and holes are not clogged. J
This is what I meant by checking it. I had the same thing happen to me so now I always check the holes and cans by giving it a shake.
I have occasionally had my 2:1 crystallize and haven't figured out why. The solution for me was to make it slightly weaker. You also need to be sure there are no sugar crystals left in your pail and pot and stir stick. I think a few "seeds" of sugar can get it going like creamed honey. J
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,111 Posts
Add something acidic - around here we use apple cider vinegar - two tablespoons per gallon or a glug in a 5 gallon pail, especially in warm weather. I feed via tub on top with floats - pretty carefree and fast. We are in extreme drought, lost the mid Summer to Fall flow, feeding a lot.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top