Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need to remove some of the honey supers...the stack is getting to high for me to handle...and they are getting honey bound with few places to raise brood. Don't have time to extract for a week or two...plan is to freeze over night and store in a plastic container...see any problems with that plan?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I really need to remove some of the honey supers...the stack is getting to high for me to handle..
Do you have others to put on?

The best place to store supers of honey is on the hive where the bees can defend it.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
If you don't have empties to put back on, no need to remove the capped honey. Just extract it and store in closed buckets or better yet bottle and sell.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
The point here is that he cannot safely add any more supers. Last thing you want to do is drop a super full of honey, or tip your hive over getting one off.

Freeze is fine, but I'd just leave it in the freezer until the day before you can extract. Let it warm up in a sealed container, but do not wait more than a day to extract. Only takes 24 hours for wax moths or SHB to start in on it, with the result of leaking honey and a big mess, to say nothing of larvae in the honey. I've seen it, it's not pretty.

I know what you mean about too many supers -- I just put a fourth one on my hive, and am thinking about another one, and the last one is higher than shoulder height. At least 100 lbs of honey in there already, and they are still flying like mad! A good year for once, eh?

Too bad I only have one hive in production, although a big flow is great for a package install too.

Peter

·
Registered
623 Posts
sheesh...u pooooooor beekeepers hehehe. ive just barely got a small flow started here. im having quuen problems with a few hives i made early nucs from and unfortunately those hives are kind of week for the flow to start. one hive that reared a queen reared a MONSTER !. she just started laying early last week and shes fully layed at least 3 frames ! the strongest hive i have is 2 deeps packed and bringin in some good nectar.

i hope im not behind the season this year because i think its gonna be a good one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts